iPhone How to update jailbroke iPhone 4S from 5.1.1 to 6.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by johndope83, Feb 5, 2013.

1. johndope83 macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Like what the title says, how do I update my jailbroke iPhone 4S (factory unlocked) running 5.1.1 to 6.1?

I want to clear all jailbreak apps and restore as new then jailbreak again. Is this possible? What do I need to do? I have downloaded an ipsw file for my iPhone and want to use it in restoring and updating the device.

Hope you could help me out! Thanks! KCCO!!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Just restore your iPhone in iTunes to 6.1

3. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I take it the same is valid for upgrading to 6.1 direct from 5.01 on factory-unlocked 4S? So the procedure would be either:

Quick way:

0. Back up
    1. Update with iTunes.
    2. Jailbreak with Evasi0n
    3. Restore Cydia apps/prefs with PKGBackup (optional)

or for a "fresher" system:

0. Back up
    1. Restore with iTunes.
    2. Jailbreak with Evasi0n
    3. Restore Cydia apps/prefs with PKGBackup (optional)
    4. Sync with iTunes

Is that right? Have I got anything wrong or in the wrong order? Does one have to do activation at any point, assuming the phone has already been activated with Apple?

4. johndope83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys!

I just have a few more clarifications...

When I restore, should I jailbreak first then restore from back up? Or restore from back up then jailbreak? Btw, when I said restore I meant restore itunes back up.

I dont have pckbackup with me. And its ok if I reinstall all my tweaks again since all of them are free. Im not a heavy jailbreak user. SBSettings is mostly what I need plus a couple of more tweaks from bigboss...

5. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Yes you can install all tweaks manually, PKGBackup is just for convenience if you have a lot. Appinfo can create a list of everything so you don't forget:
    http://www.ifans.com/blog/14449/
    And even if you do have paid tweaks they will be restored via Cydia itself when you re-download them.