How to updated from iOS 4.2 GM to iOS 4.2 public release

Discussion in 'iPad' started by orlandocano, Nov 12, 2010.

1. orlandocano macrumors regular

I was able to update my iPad to iOS 4.2 GM a week ago. I have never installed an iOS early release or beta.. so im not sure what the next step is. Once iOS 4.2 is officially released, will iTunes automatically ask me to update my iPad the way it always does on a firmware update? Or will it not recognize that I need a software update because it already sees I have a version of 4.2?

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Most likely the GM is the same as the final version. However, rumors abound that a new GM will be coming out. iTunes will not ask you to update because you are already on 4.2. You'll need to find the IPSW download link somewhere, and the shift + click (windows) or option + Click (mac) on the Check for Update button and select the 4.2 IPSW if you want to upgrade from what you have to a different build of 4.2.

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

If the final build is a different build number, you most certainly will be asked to update. The version check also includes the build number. So if the GM is the same as the final, there is nothing left to do. Otherwise, iTunes will give you a chance to update.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

Great! I did not know that :).

5. luckman212 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have the MD5 hash of the updated GM build 8C134 for 3GS? I have downloaded one and it has a hash of b5d09dae19505d2fd5b6d4093f944e6a but I am scared to update my phone unless anyone else can confirm this is legit
    thanks

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

iTunes won't even let you install it unless the software is verified as being correct. Don't worry about it.

7. luckman212 macrumors newbie

Still would be nice to have the md5, just to be sure. How does iTunes "know" the ipsw is valid? There doesn't seem to be any digital signature in the file itself.