Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hopper8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
I have a jailbroken iphone iphone 2.2 and want to upgrade it, while maintaining my iphone unlocked (and if possibly jailbroken). After doing some research on the net, I don’t know exactly how to proceed and hope that some people in the forum will be able to help me.

1. Many people suggest using http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
and others suggest using PwnageTool. Do both of them serve the same purpose? If not, what are the differences?

2. Downloading felixbruns seems much easier than using pwnage tool. But if use felixbruns to upgrade my iphone, will my iphone remain unlocked? And jailbroken?

3. Which version of iphone should I upgrade to? When I plug in my iphone to my mac, itunes suggests upgrading to 3.1.3, but I saw many web articles that suggest not upgrading to 3.1.3. because I won’t be able to unlock it? Should I then upgrade to 3.1.2

4. If I need to use pwnage and upgrade to 3.1.3, where can I find a pwange tool that will enable me to do so?

I appreciate any help anyone could give me on these questions.

Thanks so much,

Hopper

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I have a jailbroken iphone iphone 2.2 and want to upgrade it, while maintaining my iphone unlocked (and if possibly jailbroken). After doing some research on the net, I don’t know exactly how to proceed and hope that some people in the forum will be able to help me.

1. Many people suggest using http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
and others suggest using PwnageTool. Do both of them serve the same purpose? If not, what are the differences?

2. Downloading felixbruns seems much easier than using pwnage tool. But if use felixbruns to upgrade my iphone, will my iphone remain unlocked? And jailbroken?

3. Which version of iphone should I upgrade to? When I plug in my iphone to my mac, itunes suggests upgrading to 3.1.3, but I saw many web articles that suggest not upgrading to 3.1.3. because I won’t be able to unlock it? Should I then upgrade to 3.1.2

4. If I need to use pwnage and upgrade to 3.1.3, where can I find a pwange tool that will enable me to do so?

I appreciate any help anyone could give me on these questions.

Thanks so much,

Hopper

base on your thread, you have the original phone. Just update that to 3.1.3 (latest firmware for this phone) then jailbreak and unlocked it with redsn0w 0.9.4

hopper8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Thanks so much foryour responses. I meant that I have a 2G (sorry for the confusion). Just a couple of follow up questions:

1. CRYSTAL-RX, you suggest unlocked the updated iphone with redsn0w and AWADEE you’re suggesting using pwnage tool (that’s what the iclarified tutorial you sent me suggests). Do redsn0w and pwnagetool serve the same function? If so, which is one is easier to use for someone that is not computer savvy?

2. AWADEE:do I use itunes to update to 3.1.3 (i.e. I go to itunes and click 'update') before getting the firmware from felixbruns, or do I go straight to felixbruns to get the 3.1.3. firmware and only later go to itunes (i.e. in step #10 of the iclarified tutorial, to hold the Alt/Option key and click Restore?

Thanks again,

Hopper8

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
do I use itunes to update to 3.1.3 (i.e. I go to itunes and click 'update') before getting the firmware from felixbruns, or do I go straight to felixbruns to get the 3.1.3. firmware and only later go to itunes (i.e. in step #10 of the iclarified tutorial, to hold the Alt/Option key and click Restore?

Actually the tutorial I posted does not mention pwnagetool at all. Pwnagetool is for the Mac but is not used in this tutorial and in the tutorial they simply named the folder "pwnage". The application pwnagetool is not necessary.

It is also possible to hold the option key while clicking restore and using the 3.1.3 from Felix Bruns.

Follow the tutorial to the letter.

hopper8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
AWADEE, ok, so I'll follow the tutorial to the letter. You sent me the tutorial for windows, but there was a link to tutorial on mac, which what I have. But step #1 of the tutorial says:

Create a folder called Pwnage on your desktop.

Download the following files and place them in the Pwnage folder you just created:
- RedSn0w
- BL 3.9
- BL 4.6
- 3.1.3 (2G): iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

QUESTIONS: 1) I just create an epty folder and call it 'pwnage', right?
2) where do I download from the RedSnOw and BL 3.9 and Bl 4.6?

thanks again,

Hopper

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
AWADEE, ok, so I'll follow the tutorial to the letter. You sent me the tutorial for windows, but there was a link to tutorial on mac, which what I have. But step #1 of the tutorial says:

Download the following files and place them in the Pwnage folder you just created:
- RedSn0w
- BL 3.9
- BL 4.6

thanks again,

Hopper

Here is the link for the tutorial as well as link to download all the files/tool you need to jailbreak/unlock your phone;

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada

- RedSn0w
- BL 3.9
- BL 4.6

thanks again,

Hopper

It doesn't matter what you call the folder. You can call it My Cat's Ass for all I care. The download links for the bootloaders and Redsn0w were in the Windows and Mac tutorials.

Redsn0w 0.9.4 MAC: https://rs837l35.rapidshare.com/files/368972291/redsn0w-mac_0.9.4.zip

Bootloader 3.9: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y16N9IZL

Bootloader 4.6: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=28A3BR0K

You can get the firmware from Felix.
The download links for ALL of these were found on the tutorial pages that I sent you under, "Download the following files and place them in the Pwnage folder you just created". It's important to read closely! The bullet-ed list underneath was hyperlinks.

Anyway, enjoy your unlocked phone and remember that Google is your friend! As well as http://mroogle.*************/ which can be used to search our forums.

Last edited:

hopper8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Thanks to both of you for all your advise. I really appreciate it.

Hopper

1234user

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Wow

This thread helped me get my Original iPhone, without a service contract, working again as my mobile phone using a SIMple Calling card. Works great, and I got a phone again without a monthly fee. Thank you! :cool:

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
This thread helped me get my Original iPhone, without a service contract, working again as my mobile phone using a SIMple Calling card. Works great, and I got a phone again without a monthly fee. Thank you! :cool:

You're welcome! It just goes to show that one answered question can benefit multiple users. Such is the beauty of a forum!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.