How to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB of RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jglaubman, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jglaubman macrumors newbie

Ok, I am a total computer noob, so I barely know what RAM is. All I know is that it will make the computer faster, and since I run VMWare Fusion and multiple Apps at once, it's kind of necessary to me.

Now, to upgrade to 4GB, do I have to add another 2GB RAM? Or get rid of the one in there and get a whole new 4GB one?

Where is the cheapest place to buy RAM?

I got my Macbook in Summer of 2008 if that makes a difference.

Thank you for your help!

2. atyoung macrumors newbie

You will want to get your hands on two 2gig sticks. You can find them online easy enough generally in the $60 range.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need 200-pin 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM.

Your MacBook came with two 1GB sticks, so have to get rid of them first and buy 2 x 2GB 200-pin 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM.

Also RAM does not make your Mac faster just more fluent with more applications open.

4. lbodnar macrumors regular

The process itself is described in the manual booklet that came with your Mac.

What country are you in? There are a lot of online memory suppliers that will sell you RAM that guaranteed to work in your MacBook.

5. Jglaubman thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the good old USA. Can anyone maybe give me a link to what I need to buy? I'm just afraid I will buy the wrong one if I go looking for it.

6. atyoung macrumors newbie

Google will return any number of sites that will sell you ram. Most of them will base it on model number and get you the right thing. As for ram making the machine faster, I know for a fact 4 gig is useful when using fusion, from personal experience, as a recently did the upgrade from 2 to 4. It makes having fusion running with a windows in the background not slow down osx applications in the slightest.

7. Paul B macrumors 6502

spinnerlys gave you all the information you need. Use www.google.com to figure out the rest. Do you really need someone to hold your hand?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

START: http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx

On second thought... deleted the Finish.

9. Jglaubman thread starter macrumors newbie

Spinnerlys, thank you! That website was what I was looking for.

10. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

u could try this

or#2

personally I would go with the 2nd one just because im anti crucial

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Follow these instructions to installing the RAM:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Memory-Cover/511/1

Remember after the last step, just pull the levers and the two existing sticks will come out; note the orientation of the notches on the RAM sticks (like which side has the short amount of contacts) and then insert the new RAM sticks into the slots and you should feel some resistance and then a "click"; reverse the directions and power on the machine; if it won't power one, follow the procedure again and try to see if you pushed the RAM all the way in.