How to upgrade from iPhone 5 to 5S on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4kedits, Sep 11, 2013.

1. 4kedits macrumors newbie

Does anybody know how to upgrade from the iPhone 5 to 5S? I'm stuck on this 2 year contract (I got the iPhone 5 last year September). How much would I have to pay?

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

why would u want the 5s, the 5 is just as good

3. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

You must thinking of the 5c. The 5s is a major improvement.

As far as upgraded, probably the out of pocket cost, $650

4. cnotes2019 macrumors 65816

You can spread it out with Verizon's wonderful edge program or their payment plan unless they are the same in which case never mind my babble :)

5. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I'm starting a new 2 year contract and then buying out the line I'm currently using. I'm paying $200 for the new phone, and $230 for my ETF. So I'm paying $430 for an upgrade instead of a in subsidized iphone for $650!

6. SR71 macrumors 68000

Exactly what I'm doing! And on top of that I'm buying it in NH to avoid sales tax. Sold my Galaxy S4 for $540 so this upgrade is paying for itself lol.

The only bad thing is that you lose your number. Oh well, not the end of the world. I'll just send out a mass text saying I got a new number.

7. kowen14 macrumors member

Is there a way to keep your number? Is the verizon edge program worth it?

8. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

I was talking to a sales rep on Verizon's chat and they told me going into store, they'll be able to switch the number first, he said he had done it before? If not on well, still worth it! I'm selling my iphone 5 soon also, so that'll almost pay for it!

9. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

The edge program is only available to those with available upgrades.

Wait... so if you open a new line you'd have to port your number to that phone? Why not suspend the service on both lines then activate the new phone on your line? I've done this when i got new phone at full retail(but i didn't have a 2nd line for this)

10. SR71, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

SR71 macrumors 68000

Edit: this POS phone double posted for no reason, my bad.

11. SR71 macrumors 68000

W
    I talked to two Verizon reps about it and one said I can keep the number while the other said I couldn't. I researched this for hours online and came to the conclusion that you must get a new number, most of the time. What I found out online is that when you pay your ETF and cancel your service for your line on Verizon, you cannot resign a new contract with that same number for 60 days or your previous contract will just be re-added to your plan. The reason why I say most of the time is because you potentially have two options: one, you can try to call customer care once you've activated the new line with the new number and ask them to give you a different number, that's when you request your old number. This doesn't always work and I'm not fully sure this is still an option, but it's worth a shot. The second option is something that I'm not even sure can be done anymore, but pretty much you'd just have the verizon rep that cancelled your line for you open up a new one and have him or her give you the same number. I don't know if they can still do this but people have reported this happening in the past. Either way, it's still worth it even if you can't keep your number.

And no, Verizon Edge is a huge, huge ripoff. DO NOT sign up for it. I can explain more tomorrow, but I'm currently typing this out on a horrendous android phone that I'm using in the meantime until I get my 5S and it ain't easy using this keyboard. I also couldn't multiquote but this should answer metzys question as well.

12. mac.cali macrumors 65816

How is the eft $230? I thought it was $350?

13. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Take $10 off every month you've been on contract.

14. Gincoma macrumors 6502

So if I buy a new iphone 5s at full retail they cant switch my number from my old iphone 5 to new 5s, Im with verizon BTW

15. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

If you buy at full retail, you can certainly swap the devices on your current line and keep the number. That's what I did the one time I've bought unsubsidized. The contract will still continue for the rest of the term.