iPad How to upgrade from JB 5.1.1 to JB 7.0.x?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MexiDawg, Jan 16, 2014.

1. MexiDawg macrumors newbie

I have downloaded the latest Evasi0n JB for iOS 7.0 but it says my current firmware is not supported.

Im obviously not a guru when it comes to JB and havent messed with any JB'ing since I updated to 5.1.1 wayyy back and if I remember correctly, it was simply plug and click and upgrade...Im certain i upgraded from a JB as well.

Now the latest Evasi0n wont let me update from a JB 5.1.1 and im afraid to restore via iTunes coz i dont want to lose all my files in my iPad 3.

Basically, is there any way to directly upgrade from a Jailbroken 5.1.1 to Jailbroken 7.0.X?

Thanks!!

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

There's no direct way. You will have to do a backup to iTunes or iCloud, then connect your phone to your computer, download the firmware of your liking, that is iOS 7.0.4 or 7.1 beta 2/3 (the betas only if your device is registered as a developer's), then hit the restore button in iTunes while holding down the ALT key on you keyboard (that's CTRL if you're a windows user, I think), select the firmware you downloaded earlier, let iTunes restore your phone, play in the backup you created, and then you can jailbreak your phone with the evasi0n tool.

3. MexiDawg thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks inselstudent.

i suppose there is no direct JB upgrade..but after reading a bit more about it, it may be best to just start from scratch especially due to the differences between ios 5 and ios 7.

So im just going to upgrade to 7.0.4 then JB w/ evasi0n.

Do I have to put my IPad in DFU mode and restore? Or just plug to itunes and restore?

thanks again

4. Espeonia macrumors member

Espeonia

A simple plug to iTunes should work. Of course, remember to make a backup first.