How to upgrade+jb to 3.1 or future firmware version from 3GS 3.0.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by camoMike, Mar 19, 2011.

1. camoMike macrumors newbie

Hi. I was wondering if someone could instruct me or point me to a guide of sorts to upgrade my iPhone from 3.0.1 to 3.1 or later firmware versions. I jb'ed + unlocked my 3GS when I got it about 1.8 years ago. Since it worked just fine and I mainly wanted to unlock it so I can use it overseas, I never bothered to keep up to date with the latest firmware releases.

But now since a lot of new apps/games require 3.1 or later versions of iPhone's firmware, I've been looking into how to upgrade my phone. When I did it myself back then, it wasn't too bad. I believe I downloaded a firmware, used redsn0w, and then ultrasn0w.

Any tips, watchouts, instructions, or references to posts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

have you saved shsh Blobs or used make it easy in Cydia if not only option keep what you have or go too 4.2.1 if you have www.iclarified.com has tutorials. God if I got a dollar every time this stuff was repeated!

3. camoMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Labman. Naw. I haven't done any of what you mentioned. I'm downloading the ipsw file for a 3GS, 4.2.1 OS I found on another post. According to some iClarfied turtorials, I just need to upgrade my OS without upgrading my baseband which is at 04.26.08. Still reading through the tutorials and posts, but hopefully I find something that says I can upgrade to 4.2.1 + jb + unlock on my 3GS. Thanks!

Mike

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Open cydia and look at the top of the page. Does it list SHSH: and if yes for what firmware versions?
    Without shsh blobs you can only restore or update to the latest firmware version.

5. camoMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Applejuiced. Wow. I haven't launched cydia ever since I unlocked my phone 1.8 years ago. I just launched it and it didn't say anything like SHSH: on top. Then it threw a bunch of errors and got stuck on this "loading data" screen. Kicks out to my home screen after a while. Seems like cydia's a goner.

I guess assuming that the process to jailbreak + unlock is the same as it was when I did it way back (restore against downloaded ipsw file, jail break using redsn0w or it sounds like greenpois0n, and download ultrasn0w via cydia), there should be any problems. I just don't know if my baseband will get upgraded and rendering my phone unlockable.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If Cydia isn't working, d/l tiny umbrella and run it on your computer. Plug in your phone after the program is installed and save the shsh. It will tell you what blobs you have.
    You need blobs to install anything lower than 4.3. Apple has security checks to keep you from installing a lower iOS.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced