Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slateef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
I have a 3G on 3.1.3, jailbroken using jailbreakme, working fine without any issues.

As I understand, 4.0.1 is the last version that is still able to be jailbroken untethered, right? If so, how can I upgrade to that version? It's not an option on itunes, because it's showing me to upgrade to 4.2 I think.

If it is possible, and I do upgrade to 4.0.1, will I lose all of my original apps and all apps downloaded using cydia and installous? Is there a way to backup everything that I have now, and then re-install it after the change to 4.0.1?

If it is possible, what would be the EASIEST way to upgrade?

Last edited:

slateef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Oh, in case you're curious, I want to upgrade to 4.0.1 because I like the look of the subfolders natively, rather than having to use Catagories (via Cydia) on 3.1.3.

Is there another reason to want to upgrade to 4.0.1?

Any pros/cons anyone can think of? Or should I just stick with 3.1.3?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
If you have the SHSH saved for 4.0.1 in Cydia you can upgrade. You'd just have to edit your host files to the Cydia Server.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
^1+ if not quite simply your Sol. you had to had selected make it easy in cydia or used Tiny umbrella. other wise you can only stay with your current firmware or upgrade to 4.2.1.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
you can put a 3g on any firmware you wish without shsh saved. just go to felixbruns.com and download the 4.0.1 ipsw if that is what you want. then you will hit shift on your keyboard and restore on iTunes at the same time. then a window will open and then find the firmware that you just downloaded. then it will install. you will have to jailbreak again. go to helpmejailbreak.com and you will see what jailbreak solution that you can use depending on the firmware you choose to install. when you are talking about a 3gs or 4 that is when you have to be really careful on what you do. this is alot easier than it sounds. the shsh really only come into effect if you want to downgrade and unlock your phone. once again we are talking about a 3g only.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Doh! on myself lol I could have sworn the ts was asking about a 3gs

doh%20homer%20simpson.jpg

slateef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Thank you all for your answers so far.

Could someone please give me a rundown of the pros and cons of going from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1? As I said, I really like the look of the subfolders on 4.0.1 (better than having to use Catagories via Cydia on 3.1.3).

Other than cosmetics, are there any reasons to upgrade such as performance improvements?

Thanks in advance.

On a related note, my Cydia says SHSH 4.0 and above up to the current firmware on top when it loads on the homescreen. Does that mean I'm good to go if I want to upgrade?

Sorry for all the questions...trying to learn here. Thanks.

slateef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
That statement is only true up to and including 3.1.3. If you take a 3G to IOS 4.01, 4.02, 4.1 you need shsh.

Hmm, interesting.

So, when I open up Home - Cydia at the top of the screen, it says:

SHSH: iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1

What does this mean in my case?

If I want to upgrade, do I simply upgrade using the steps outlined above in that post you quoted? Do I need to worry about baseband (whatever that is)?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Those blobs indicate which iOS you can install.
Baseband is what determines your ability to unlock. If you plan to travel overseas or sell your phone, unlock is useful. If you create a custom firmware with pwnage, you can avoid upgrading your bb. Once you upgrade your bb, you can not downgrade it--no matter how much you cry.
Using blobs: you either modify your host file or run the server on Tiny Umbrella (make sure your blobs are saved to your computer first).
4.0-4.1 tend to run slower on 3G. However, you can always downgrade to 3.1.3.
Hmm, interesting.

So, when I open up Home - Cydia at the top of the screen, it says:

SHSH: iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1

What does this mean in my case?

If I want to upgrade, do I simply upgrade using the steps outlined above in that post you quoted? Do I need to worry about baseband (whatever that is)?

slateef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ok, eastercat, that is helpful.

I do not plan to unlock, so I guess I don't need to worry about baseband.

All I want to do is upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1, so basically it sounds like all I have to do is download the ipsw file for 4.0.1 for the 3G, open up itunes, hit shift while I click on the restore option, and click on the ipsw file that I just downloaded. Should that do it? And then just rejailbreak by jailbreakme.com?

Is that the simplest way to do it?

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
IIRC, nebo1ss said you'll need your SHSH for 4.0.1. You'd have to run Tiny Umbrella's server first. This will prevent Apple's servers from refusing an install of 4.0.1. The rest of the install process is as you wrote. You might get an error message. Kick your phone out of recovery with TU. If everything looks fine, then you've installed correctly.
I don't know if jailbreakme.com is still working. If it is, you should be fine there. If it doesn't, iclarified should have some other tutorials.
Make sure to have TU save the blobs to your computer first; otherwise, the above won't work.
I do not plan to unlock, so I guess I don't need to worry about baseband.

All I want to do is upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1, so basically it sounds like all I have to do is download the ipsw file for 4.0.1 for the 3G, open up itunes, hit shift while I click on the restore option, and click on the ipsw file that I just downloaded. Should that do it? And then just rejailbreak by jailbreakme.com?

Is that the simplest way to do it?

Thanks again to all of you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.