Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSmith16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
I went from a Windows to an iMac. I had tons of documents from MS Office that I had to transfer to the iMac and for the most part it was pretty easy. I didn't want to buy MS Office for Mac, so I downloaded Apache OpenOffice, which seemed to take all of my Word and Excel documents perfectly fine.

The problem was the Publisher ones.

I discovered that Publisher has it's own special format and there was no other program to open and edit it. I did find a website that converted the format to something I could use, so I tried that, but when I opened the document, everything was messed up. Things like pictures were out of order and stuff got moved around to a different location during the reformatting. It's going to be a time consuming process to fix it.

My question(s) is: Is there another program out there that will keep my document intact and allow me to edit as it was before? Anything thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
LibreOffice (which is difference than ProjectLibre), free to download and use, can open Microsoft Publisher files. Another option to consider is using a Windows virtual machine on your iMac - Fusion, Parallels, and so on.

Reactions: wwinter86

wwinter86

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2009
London
LibreOffice (which is difference than ProjectLibre), free to download and use, can open Microsoft Publisher files. Another option to consider is using a Windows virtual machine on your iMac - Fusion, Parallels, and so on.

Wow thanks. That is a big help. I needed to take some Publisher files home from work and LibreOffice seems to be the only thing that opens .pub files on Mac. Thanks for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.