How to use AIO in a room other than the one where the phone is located?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Aug 25, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I want to use the fax capability of my AIO. Here is the problem.

My home phone is located in the kitchen. It has to be there as the phone plug over there only works with the intercom of the apartment.

I have my wireless HP AIO in my room. There is also a phone plug there. When I tried to fax from my room, I found that the phone in the kitchen stopped working (had no pulse). I disconnected the wire from my AIO to the jack in my room and the phone in the kitchen started working again.

For shared voice/fax line (which I think is my case), HP suggested connecting the telephone cable to the fax port on the printer and to the telephone jack on the wall. Then, remove the plug from the telephone line out port on the rear of the printer and then connect the phone to this port. Since the phone and the AIO are in different rooms, I cannot do it.

Could you please let me know what to do besides getting a long cable to run from the kitchen to my room?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Random thoughts, maybe one will help.
    Move the printer closer to your home phone.

Are you going to use your fax a lot (multiple uses per day)?
    Best solution is to add a second phone line to your house, just for the fax.

Or like many home users, maybe you fax once or twice a year, if that... :D
    Disconnect the phone line to the AIO when you are not using the fax.

Your printer is wireless.
    Does it need to be located in your room?
    If you are going to use the fax a lot, move the printer closer to your home phone.
    Or, add a dedicated line (2nd phone number) for the fax

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I send fax maybe a few times a year. I intend to have the AIO connected to the phone line all the time as somebody may send me the fax. Most likely also no more than five times a year. To save money, no plan to have dedicated line. Printer better locates in my room.

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

If you absolutely need to have the printer in a separate room, and connected full time, then I believe the only solution is to run an extension line (over doors, along baseboards, etc.) and connecting as HP suggests. I'm not aware of any "wireless extender." At one point I had 2 AIO and dedicated lines. My need for faxes has somewhat diminished, and we have no landlines. The few times a year I need to "fax," it seems that the receiving end (like financial services) will accept cellphone pictures of the document. We sometimes use the AIO's scanner (with Preview) to transmit documents. A few years ago in a real estate transaction, virtually all of the "faxes" came as email attachments.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Get something like an Ooma Linx. I think these exist from mfgrs other than Ooma.

I think the relevant protocol is DECT 6.0.

You'll need a wireless base station at the phone jack in your kitchen. It must be DECT 6.0 compatible. Then you'll need the wireless remote unit, located at your printer. It will plug into the power line and have a telephone jack or two on it, into which you plug the telephone cable from your printer. You will also need to pair the remote wireless unit with your base station. The base station instructions should tell you how.

I have an Ooma Telo (base station) and Linx (remote). I use it for a remote voice phone, but I've also tested it with an old modem I have, from when I used dialup access. The Linx works fine for both.