Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

How to Use Apple's New Intercom Feature

ThatsMrsGeek2U

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
so you say intercom doesn’t work on homepod stereo pair, but on one of the images i guess its from the apple, where its says “intercom to the living room, has the game started?” clearly shows a stereo pair in the living room..
I believe what they mean is that if a set is paired, you can't intercom from one to the other. It would be like talking to itself.

Comment

ThatsMrsGeek2U

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
Was anyone else hoping this would work like Star Trek The Next Generation where you could initiate point to point voice calls between rooms?
or that with all the location awareness test things are gaining i want to intercom a person and have the system send it to the right speaker, i should not need to know what room my kid is in, let the system get that info from his watch. it 2020 man!

Reactions: swamplynx
Comment

ThatsMrsGeek2U

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
Really getting annoyed that TV is not getting many of these features on its own, to play thru whatever apple play speakers it uses, in my case a sonos soundbar.

no real reason not to, it can work as a hub, so it is already tied in fully. Intercom works on CarPlay, across town, so it should pop up on screen and/or play on the TV speakers.

Reactions: grobik
Comment

m2m2k

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2020
That's a really good question. My wife and I enabled the walkie talkie feature on our Apple Watches and found it to be lacking. It often doesn't work... Says it can't complete the process or something to that effect. I don't really know why, as everything else seems to work. I'd be curious if this feature is a little more stable and reliable. Also, I'm still not sure if it'll work where there's no HomePod in play anyway. Not sure if I could say go from CarPlay when I'm on my way home to my wife's iPhone for example.
Apple is really into half baked features these days.

Reactions: WilliamDu
Comment

Janschi

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
With all due respect, Apple. This is not intercom. This is voicemail. Intercom is something you can have a conversation over.

Alexa offers real intercom. What a joke, Apple, that you guys can’t even keep up with the booksellers in technology.
You do realize tho that you can have a conversation via FaceTime (audio). Apple has had this for a long time. But keep trying to complain.
Intercom is a great way to alert your family at home that you start driving back home etc.

Comment

Janschi

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Does playback work for anyone on the Apple Watch or iOS / iPadOS devices?
My Watch doesn't send me a notification at all and my iPhone notifies me but there is no sound.
I'm aware that this is a beta btw. I'm just wondering if anybody got it to work.
Cause it took a few times to get it to work from iOS to HomePod.

Comment

sirozha

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
You do realize tho that you can have a conversation via FaceTime (audio). Apple has had this for a long time. But keep trying to complain.
Intercom is a great way to alert your family at home that you start driving back home etc.
FaceTime Audio is not intercom. You have to ring the other end and they have to answer. This is not Intercom either.

Comment

Janschi

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Of course FT audio isn’t intercom, but why would you need to have a full blown conversation via Intercom. It doesn’t make sense to be complaining about something like that without actually thinking about the other options that you have.

also if you know what Intercom at stores is like, you’ll be aware that this is the same.
You don’t communicate via Intercom at the stores holding a full blown conversations.

they just use it for announcements and alerts.

Comment

WilliamDu

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Siri existed long before Amazon created Alexa to do its data mining from people who are willing to put practically free wire taps in their house. Way to innovate, Amazon.

What is your point? if Apple is behind on the capabilities they should just never bother implementing it?
My point is that even if their intercom works as well, Apple's catchup devices are still overpriced compared to comparable and new Alexa systems.
Wiretap capabilities are identical in both fine families.
When power is on, mikes are active. Both have to be to detect either "Hey Siri" or "Alexa" alert sounds.
No difference with respect to security. Off buttons or stated software blocks are equally suspect.
If that bothers you, pull the plug.
I have no objection to Alexa elves listening to my household chatter or the 19,000+ Bluetooth music tracks I send from my iPod Touch. Gives them suggestions to add quality to their Amazon Music repertoire.
My only gripe with Alexa is they won't accept Bluetooth to stereo or other group arrangements.
Should be a simple but very significant software adjustment.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: hlfway2anywhere
Comment

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Berkeley
Not something our family will use considering we already do this via iMessage which is a whole lot more convenient.

Speaking of which, I'm awaiting the day this feature is merged into iMessage. Intercom notes are saved into the iMessage "family chat" timeline.

Comment

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
Remember when Apple used to give us features you could use without a walkthrough?
Not even the original iPhone could be used without a walkthrough, which Apple provided. They even published a printed (electronic) manual for it.

Comment

ElectronicCat

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
My husband and I each have iPhones on 14.2 and stereo Homepods on 14.2. We are on the same network. He can use the intercom to the Homepods but I can’t . I can use the intercom to him, but not to everywhere. On the Home/myhome screen it reports “problem” with the Homepods. We have deleted the Home app and reinstalled, no change. i can play music to the Homepods, but not intercom. The Homepods are in the living room. When I say Hey Siri, intercom to the living room xxx she replies “you don’t have any Homepods.” Does anyone have any suggestions. My iPhone is a X , his is a XI.

Comment

bluesy

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
I thought it looked good until I noticed the intercom option isn’t there without a HomePod. Why cant they allow this through your devices without HomePod?
Exactly, is should at least be able to do it when you have an appleTV to share your HomeKit devices, but I guess they want to force the HomePod tp the user, but since we already has invested in Sonos, then its not going to happen.

Reactions: ThatsMrsGeek2U
Comment

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Exactly, is should at least be able to do it when you have an appleTV to share your HomeKit devices, but I guess they want to force the HomePod tp the user, but since we already has invested in Sonos, then its not going to happen.
Yea it’s a bummer. Oh well, guess my family will use the old shout to talk to one another.

Reactions: bluesy
Comment

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
I can’t believe there’s no Intercom option in Control Center.

I hate using Siri. She is retarded aka always late.

That means my only way to intercom is to look for Home app (it’s tucked away in App Library), launch it, wait for it to launch, and finally look for the Intercom button in the Home app. Ugh, so stupid.

Comment

fafner

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Intercom seems not to be available in Sweden! Home pod is also not available in Sweden and Swedish is not supported so that may be the cause...

Comment

bluesy

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
Intercom seems not to be available in Sweden! Home pod is also not available in Sweden and Swedish is not supported so that may be the cause...
Same for Denmark, but then again, Siri in Danish has really been downhill, there are several commands that are no longer working, I can't tell Siri to play more music of the artist playing at the moment, several foreign artist it can pronounce correctly, but if I don't say their name in a danish way instead of the correct English one, it simply don't know who im talking to, so the Siri I loved to use, unfortunately font exist anymore :(

Comment

Janschi

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Same for Denmark, but then again, Siri in Danish has really been downhill, there are several commands that are no longer working, I can't tell Siri to play more music of the artist playing at the moment, several foreign artist it can pronounce correctly, but if I don't say their name in a danish way instead of the correct English one, it simply don't know who im talking to, so the Siri I loved to use, unfortunately font exist anymore :(
Intercom feature works really horrible in German. If you say "Hey Siri, Intercom", she'll reply with "I couldn't find such location. If you use the German word "Sprechanlage" which is longer and sounds worse, it works.

Additionally we have the same issue, if you don't pronounce a song or artist in a German way, she won't understand a lot of times.

And another thing which especially happens with the song "Hawaí" by Maluma. I can ask 1000 times for that song, but always plays the Remix with The Weeknd, which I didn't ask for. If I wanted to listen to the Remix I would state that in my command.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.