Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBrit

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
UK
I would just like to point out that this does not work on an ipad which is true of a lot of features which people are documenting in various tips and tricks etc.

Before someone says why use an ipad in a car it is because i use it sometimes for navigation software such as “here” so it is not a stupid as it might seem. In fact the ipad screen is much better than any of the iphones for navigating and with the right holder almost perfect.

-paul-

rcczar1

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2017
Do Not Disturb while Driving sounds good, but it's a bit infuriating. If I could decide which features to turn on it would be great, but as it is, it's all or nothing. I'm tired of getting in the car and saying "Hey Siri, open Waze", only to get a reply, "I'm sorry, I can't do that while you're driving." Well, if I can't open a navigation app while driving, that's pretty useless. I mean, when else would I want to open that app?

I have googled and found a way to completely turn off the functions. I ride 98% of the time as a passenger. I no-longer receive a message or have to click a button to say I am a passenger.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I like the idea of this feature, but not the way that it now contradicts and completely invalidates using my phone for navigation once I’m underway, even hands-free. I access Siri hands-free, “give me directions to X”, and get the expected response “getting directions to X”, then... nothing happens. Why update navigation with lane guidance, etc, then do this? I hope they fix this with a setting. Seems like at the very least I should be able to get “eyes free” audio only directions.

venusboy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
This is a great feature but something needs to be done about Snapchat who has filters specifically designed for use when driving. This behaviour causes road accidents and deaths, for a stupid “story”.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Agreed. If it saves even just one life somewhere in the world it is great.
Unfortunately it sucks if you are not the driver! (Currently).

I guess we have to ask if people are stupid enough to text and drive... if they'll be smart enough to leave a 'feature' enabled that stops them from their stupidity, especially if it interferes with them when they are passengers. My guess is that this feature will get turned off within a few days on the majority of phones.

Certainly. I see lots of drivers putting on makeup, unwrapping burgers, lighting cigarettes, playing with their kids, and etc.

Yes, this is a problem Apple can't really fix. It would take a societal shift towards people using their brains... which doesn't look promising at the moment.

LeahJoFoxtrot

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2016
Ok, so I have a problem with this. I have the feature completely disabled but periodically I am getting the "suggestion" to turn it on. Can someone help me disable that? I won't be able to tolerate being told to turn on feature I do not want. It's as bad as Facebook Messenger constantly asking me to enable notifications!

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
I have googled and found a way to completely turn off the functions. I ride 98% of the time as a passenger. I no-longer receive a message or have to click a button to say I am a passenger.
And you plan to keep that a secret?
[doublepost=1551406649][/doublepost]I've turned off "Do Not Disturb" and set it to "Manual" detection and it continues to act like its in "Do Not Disturb" mode.

Anyone found a way to completely remove or disable this?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And you plan to keep that a secret?
[doublepost=1551406649][/doublepost]I've turned off "Do Not Disturb" and set it to "Manual" detection and it continues to act like its in "Do Not Disturb" mode.

Anyone found a way to completely remove or disable this?
If you disabled it then it should be off. What are you experiencing that makes it seem like DND is still enabled?

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
If you disabled it then it should be off. What are you experiencing that makes it seem like DND is still enabled?
At the top of the Do Not Disturb page I have the switch OFF, and lower down the "Do Not Disturb While Driving" set to Manual.

I was expecting the first Do Not Disturb switch being OFF would take care of it, and the Do Not Disturb While Driving as a back up , but every time I get in my car all email, text, garage door open/close alerts are silenced, and no prompt to use Do Not Disturb While Driving which I'd expect with it set to Manual.

I'd appreciate any help, and can post screen shots if needed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
At the top of the Do Not Disturb page I have the switch OFF, and lower down the "Do Not Disturb While Driving" set to Manual.

I was expecting the first Do Not Disturb switch being OFF would take care of it, and the Do Not Disturb While Driving as a back up , but every time I get in my car all email, text, garage door open/close alerts are silenced, and no prompt to use Do Not Disturb While Driving which I'd expect with it set to Manual.

I'd appreciate any help, and can post screen shots if needed.
And if you look in settings at that time does it show that DND is enabled (and the status bar shows it as well)?

The settings you describe should in fact not have DND enable on its own. It sounds more like something isn't right somewhere and it's hard to say what might fix it--something as simple as restarting the device (which you likely have done already), or something more drastic like resetting all settings if not even reinstalling.

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
And if you look in settings at that time does it show that DND is enabled (and the status bar shows it as well)?

The settings you describe should in fact not have DND enable on its own. It sounds more like something isn't right somewhere and it's hard to say what might fix it--something as simple as restarting the device (which you likely have done already), or something more drastic like resetting all settings if not even reinstalling.
Thanks for the suggestions - I restored from backup dated Oct 2018 and it forced an update to the latest iOS, and now with the same settings it is responding as expected.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Thanks for the suggestions - I restored from backup dated Oct 2018 and it forced an update to the latest iOS, and now with the same settings it is responding as expected.

That's good... I was getting concerned maybe this was like the 2FA AppleID thing, or like Apple's 'encouragement' to update the OS, where they'd not let you really back out of turning it off, once it was on. I'm pretty sure I turned it off when the OS was installed/updated on some initial welcome screen.

I'm a pretty serous driver, so I wouldn't even consider texting (or monkeying with the device) and driving, etc. ... so it isn't even a temptation. The only time I even touch my phone, is when stopped in traffic at a light, and even then, it's only to make a quick small change (ie: not text, etc.).

Which, makes me wonder - actually no, I've seen the studies on it - on how dangerous all this touch-screen displays in cars are, especially where main vehicle controls are on it (ex: Tesla). One can reach at the dash to quickly push a 'change station' button or turn a knob, but when you have to find a small touch-target that moves around, that's bad. And, that's partly why I've been so disappointed in Siri not being able to do the most basic of things you'd want to do while driving. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.