How to use google voice to make phone calls with iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vjicecool, Mar 25, 2012.

1. vjicecool macrumors 6502

I have iphone 4, Can any o ne tell me how to use google voice to make free phone calls. Help appreciated.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You can't make free phone calls with google voice.

3. Sulten macrumors regular

Sulten

open google voice the button on the right that looks like a wheel.
    click on that scroll down to " This Phone" Change to the phone number and it will dial out from GV not your cell phone number.

dont know about free though

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Correct.

Google Voice is not a VoIP service, it still uses your cellular minutes if the call is made from a cell phone. You can however use Google Voice from the browser (plug-in required) to make free calls.

5. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Any experiences with the plug-in?

6. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Use talkatone from the app store. Login with your google voice account and make calls over wifi or 3G.

7. Sunsean macrumors 6502

As someone who is switching to primary GV use, I can confirm that by using talkatone with your GV account, you can make free DATA calls from your iphone. Note that these are true voip calls, and require data, they will not be cellular and will not use plan minutes.

Had another question - I have so far tested out talkatone on an ipod touch and it worked great, but have yet to try it on iphone. Only catch on ipod touch is you need to use a headset. For anyone who has tried it, can you use talkatone with the iphone in the traditional phone position? lol i.e. hold the phone to your head and use the phone itself instead of speakerphone or headset?

8. Globe199 macrumors member

How's the quality on talkatone? I'd be interested to know if it works on iPhone.

9. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

Talkatone works great on the iPhone. I have a friend running an iPad sim card in his iPhone 4 getting unlimited data and calls for $30 a month. He uses Google Voice/Talkatone exclusively.

10. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Sweet. That's what I'm planning to do. Use GV as primary number. Do you know if it is possible to use talkatone with the iphone by just holding the phone to your ear as a normal phone?

11. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

Yes it is.

12. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Word. Thanks for the tip!

13. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Talkatone is hit or miss (mostly miss) in my experience. Quality can vary wildly and the app itself sucks (poor UI). It has trouble on locked-down networks (I always enjoy the "Network has blocked VoIP Communication" or whatever that damn error message) and overall is a pretty poor experience IMHO.

I would suggest one of the more mature VoIP platforms - Skype has always worked well for me. I realize you lose the convenience of the Google Voice native integration but what good is that if you can't make a [good] phone call?

Just my two cents, I know some people have good luck with Talkatone. It's just been lousy in my experience and I certainly would not recommend it as your primary method of communication!