How to use iBooks Author v1.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr. Retrofire, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Mr. Retrofire, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

How to use iBooks Author v1.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

1. Install iBooks Author inside a Lion VM or on a second Mac which uses the Lion OS.
    Note: You can install iBooks Author v1.0 on Mac OS X 10.7.1, but it does not run on this version (19. Jan. 2012).
    Additional note: App Store on 10.6.8 and 10.7.1 says it requires 10.7.2.

2. On the source machine/VM compress the "iBooks Author.app" via the Terminal:
    (destination is the desktop)

3. Copy this .zip archive to your Mac OS X 10.6.8 machine (on the startup disk). The .zip file path should be "/iBooks Author.zip". Decompress the archive via the Terminal:
    You have now the "iBooks Author.app" in your "Applications" folder on your Mac OS X 10.6.8 machine.

4. Edit the .plist file via the Terminal:
    5. Ready! You can use now iBooks Author v1.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard!

Screenshot (see attachment; click to enlarge):

;-)

Attached Files:

2. erz macrumors newbie

A method without the terminal

I tried the method outlined here and for some reason beyond my luddite comprehension of software it did not work for me. Also, perhaps other users are (just as I) more comfortable with cut&past action in Finder, rather than the terminal.

Now, please forgive me if I repost what I wrote in another thread (and yes, I will even reuse that sorry pun), but I think this thread is more befitting to gather some workarounds:

It may surprise you to learn that the leopard can indeed change his shorts...

:p

That means you can mask your system to tell the app store it is running 10.7.2 which allows you to install the app (works for other things too), then restoring your system settings to their original state and telling the app to accept running on SL, again with just a quick edit of a file. So far everything seems to work out fine on my system, maybe an indication that Apple indeed wants to incentivize you to upgrade by means of an artificial barrier that on the other hand can easily be circumvented. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, getting around that barrier is not news on MacRumors, as I found this link here in the first place:
    http://www.digitaltweaker.com/mac/m...o-install-ibooks-author-on-os-x-snow-leopard/

I fiddled around with the instructions and found that my system settings obviously differ (maybe they used an admin account in the link above?) so that the process for me is a slight variation. But I also learned that messing up your camouflage and getting shut out by the app detecting your meddling can be remedied simply by trashing the app and starting the process anew.

Doing it my way really only took me about four minutes, download included, so if you desperately want a piece of the action you may want to give the sneakaround a try.
    How to get iBooks Author working in 11 steps

3. Aeio macrumors newbie

Caveat Emptor

You both do realize that although this may get the app to (appear to) run, there is no guarantee it will work properly. The reason for the minimum version (usually) is because the app relies on system api calls that do not exist until that version (or may have been added to support this app, since it is Apple). This may only impact some features, but I think it is unlikely that they would have required the latest version of Lion unless they needed to.

4. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but it is ludicrous to put out a software that only runs on the latest version of an OS, not the latest as in Lion only but you have to have 10.7.2. Give me a break Apple:mad:

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

install Lion and this wouldn't be a problem. just saying. ;)

6. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I have been playing with Lion since the day it came out. Playing with it on a external drive that is, no way I'm leaving SL for Lion until all the bugs get worked out!

Thats like PC software that just gets released and runs on windows 7 but cant run on XP, how well would that software do? .....just saying. ;)

7. BubbaMc macrumors regular

For some of us this simply isn't an option.

Can someone upload the zip file?

Ta :D

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

If you think that doesn't happen, you're in for a rude surprise.