How to use iPhone 4 Locked on AT&T network in Europe?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Elkos, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Elkos macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I really need an assistance on this one. I apologize if the question seems ridiculous, but I have searched the forum before asking this question.

My friend gave me an iPhone 4 already upgraded to IOS 5 on AT&T networked - locked.

Now I want to use this phone in Germany, for that, presumable I need to unlock and jailbreak it. Someone suggested to me to get this Gevey Pro card as an easy alternative, which I did.

The problem is that I cannot get passed the sim card activation screen, because it tells me that the sim card is invalid.

Can someone tell me, where should I begin or is it at all possible to use this phone in Germany?

I am not getting how can I get passed this activation screen if I don't have original AT&T card and all other cards even with Gevey Pro are not recognized on the phone without some kind of jailbreaking/unlocking.

Thank you for a competent answers. All appreciated.

G.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

unforrtunately, you cannot do what you are trying to do. The Gevey sim does not work with the baseband that comes with IOS5. There is a way to preserve the previous IOS4 baseband while upgrading to IOS5 but it is now too late for you.

Unlesss Gevey launches a new product you are stuck with that phone which is not usable in Europe.

3. Elkos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your respond. You are saying it is impossible to preserve the baseband. Why is that? Has Apple stopped supporting it? Thank you

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

You can't preserve the baseband because your phone has already been upgraded to iOS5, which also upgraded the baseband. It has nothing to do with Apple supporting it.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes basebands can be preserved but thats done prior to updating firmware not after

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Sorry OP you are out of options as right now since the phone was updated to iOS5, your baseband was update to a version that had no unlock as of yet.

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

With the availability of factory unlocked phones, the days of both software and SIM based unlocks are numbered.

8. Elkos thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the thing. I need to somehow verify whether or not this iPhone was upgraded to IOS 5 and which base-band it currently employs, but I do not know how to do that because I can't get past the activation screen.

Does anybody know how to obtain this info?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're sol dude.
    Nothing can unlock that iPhone now. It will only work with AT&T sims.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Here is the thing, we go by the information you provided on your OP

Based on that you are SOL..

Contact your friend and ask him if he updated, if he did, then the BB was updated and you can't unlock it.

11. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Two options:

1. Sell it and buy a new unlocked iPhone 4 or 4s (prior will be cheaper for sure).

2. Trade it with a friend who has an earlier firmware where you can use a gevey ultra, if you're lucky and have a friend who has a much earlier iPhone 4 baseband like 1.59, you can use ultrasn0w and have a software unlock.

I'm using Gevey Ultra in Europe right now without any issues.

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

So he trades it with a friend, What is his friend going to do with the phone. He is in Germany and his friends are more likely than not in Germany. The phone can only be used in the USA on ATT

13. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Trade his iPhone 4 with a friends who has an older firmware (older baseband is needed for Gevey Ultra or Ultrasn0w). Read what I wrote. Cheap solution and he can return the phone when he gets back.

14. BanaCamaj macrumors newbie

BanaCamaj

Help - Iphone 4 unlocked

Hello, is it possible to make it simfree my iphone that i used in US i bought it at AT&T,but now im in Europe and i wanna use it with an other sim card for the time i'll be here!

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Use TinyUmbrella, I believe it will read unactivated devices.