How to use iPhone w/ AT&T sim card, but without data plan? Change APN/IMEI #?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by longchina, Jun 21, 2011.

1. longchina macrumors newbie

longchina

Hello MacPeople :apple:,

I was given a free iPhone 3G in a very good condition, and I wanna use it with my current AT&T sim card. But after using for a few weeks, I received a msg from AT&T: "Did you know a data plan is required for your iPhone? …… We have added the appropriate data plan [to your iPhone]." But I just don't want the data plan, b/c almost all the places I go have free Wi-Fi.

So, I started to research on how to use iPhone without data plan (but with AT&T sim card). There are two things I found may help to solve this problem: first, change the APN; second, change the IMEI #.

I've changed my APN by using "unlockit.co.nz", but I did not find a way to change my iPhone's IMEI #.

So, I need you help; do you think only the change in APN will solve this matter? Or it won't help, I still need to change IMEI #? If so, how should I change my IMEI #? :confused:
    My iPhone has a Baseband (BB) of 06.15.00, and Bootloader (BL) of 6.2_M3S2 running oniOS 4.21.

Thank you in advance!
    A thankful person

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The IMEI cannot be changed and the APN doesnt make any difference.
    If you use an iphone 3G, 3GS or iphone 4 on an AT&T post paid plan the system will detect it and add a data plan automaticly.
    Only way to avoid that is to go with prepaid AT&T gosims or use it on Tmobile.