How to use Netgear DGND3300 with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TerenceW, Sep 4, 2011.

1. TerenceW macrumors member

I have a Netgear DGND 3300 router which I am thinking of trying to use as a modem with Airport Extreme. The main reason is that from what I've read, I would then be able to access my iMac (recent) with my MBP via the internet, using logmein, even when it has gone into sleep mode.

I am very new to Mac so can anybody tell me:

Is my above assumption correct?

If so, do I just plug the AP into the Netgear router or is any other sort of work needed?

Any help/advice will be very much appreciated!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to put the AEBS in bridge mode, and even then I don't know if you could use LogMeIn if the iMac is asleep.

3. TerenceW thread starter macrumors member

AH, ok, thank you. Do you know of a remote access programme that IS likely to work?

4. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

You can either use the AEBS in bridge mode as said above, which will mean your old router will still handle DHCP, or you can configure the AirPort Extreme to handle DHCP meaning that the old router will be used solely as a modem

5. TerenceW thread starter macrumors member

Thank you - is one way better than the other or is it just a matter of choice?

6. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Its better to have the AEBS handling DHCP, then the old device is simply acting solely as a modem and not handling any other services. AEBS will be faster

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Sometimes these modem and router combos won't give up control of DHCP. It definitely would be better to use the AEBS for DHCP (in fact, this might be the only way you can get Back to my Mac working), but only if you can disable DHCP at the modem. Having two devices with DHCP enabled will probably crash your network.