How to use the EarPods with Lightning Connector on the new Macbook Pro

d9pe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Switzerland
Hey there, is there a simple way about connecting the new EarPods with Lightning Connector to the new MacBook Pro? or did they just forget about this?

Puonti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2011
Right now there is no way that I'm aware of to use lightning headphones with any computer.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
use the adapter than came with your iPhone for lightning to 3.5mm. The MacBook still has a 3.5mm jack.

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
use the adapter than came with your iPhone for lightning to 3.5mm. The MacBook still has a 3.5mm jack.
The adapter that came with the iPhone didn't GIVE you a 3.5 mm prong thingy. It gave you a place to put your existing thingy

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Isn't that adapter the other way around? It's 3.5 mm to lightning adapter, so you use it to plug 3.5 mm headphones into a lightning port, not lightning headphones into a 3.5mm port.
ahh, you are right :p

I am struggling to find an adapter on amazon too =/

ikenstein

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
New York, NY
lol. my biggest question is why anyone would want to plug apple earpods into anything? They're not good, and any other brand of inexpensive ear buds or earphones with a 35mm plug would sound significantly better.
Like, for the cost of an adapter, you could get better ear buds. Seems like a no-brainer.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
lol. my biggest question is why anyone would want to plug apple earpods into anything? They're not good, and any other brand of inexpensive ear buds or earphones with a 35mm plug would sound significantly better.
I think that was Apple's logic. The only time I ever use the EarPods that came with my iPhone are in an emergency when I'm outside. If I want to use headphones while sitting at my computer, I'll plug in a decent pair.

Reactions: burgman

viljamip

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2016
There is nothing professional in those headphones they give you with every iPhone. It would have been absolutely ridiculous had they replaced the 3.5mm jack with Lightning in the new MacBook PROs.

WiseAJ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
You don't. You are supposed to upgrade to the AirPods, which were supposed to be out by now and before this issue came out ;)

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
I have a drawer full of old Apple stuff including old iPhone EarPods. I use those for times I don't want to use my Bose Bluetooth headphones. This can't be a thing... oh wait it's Macrumors :)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
ahh, you are right :p

I am struggling to find an adapter on amazon too =/
You will not find a passive adapter to plug Lightning headphones into a 3.5mm output. Since the headphones contain active electronics (a DAC and amp), they need a power supply which the 3.5mm jack cannot provide. Such an adapter would need its own power supply.

Also, such an adapter would be somewhat weird: It'd have to digitize the analog output from the jack, only so the DAC in the Lightning headphones (which only accept digital audio) can convert it back into analog so you can hear it. That's obviously less than optimal. ;)

Reactions: ikenstein
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.