How to verify an iPhone 5 is tmobile version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by K1ngkev1n1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. K1ngkev1n1 macrumors regular

I'm going to get a. iPhone 5 off eBay how do I verify it is a tmobile version that will get 4g and lte? Is there a number or somewhere to look?

2. bozzykid macrumors 68020

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720

Also, the bottom of the box will say 1700/2100 under HSPA. However, it is unlikely you will find many of these phones on eBay since they have only been available since April 12th.

3. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

Specifically, what are the benefits? I have a PRE T-Mo iPhone 5 (unlocked) that I have been using for a few months. T-Mo pushed an update and I seem to get great service with 4G. What would I gain from one of the newer factory unlocked T-Mo phones?

4. K1ngkev1n1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to buy a new one not used

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Even new ones from Ebay may not be T-Mobil ready. Seller could have stacks of these from weeks ago

6. K1ngkev1n1 thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's why I'm asking how to verify its real tmobile version

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The new model provides 3G in areas that haven't been "refarmed". You're getting good service because you're lucky enough to be in one of the new areas :)

8. rockitdog macrumors 68020

model number of the T-Mobile Iphone 5 (black/16GB) is ME486LL/A. Should be on the back of the box and also in the phone number about (the phone).

9. K1ngkev1n1 thread starter macrumors regular

Will a cut reg sim work in the iPhone 5 or does it have to be nano in order to get 4g and lte?

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Cutting a regular sim to nano size should work. You need the carrier update to get LTE (should you be in an area with LTE coverage)

11. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

The benefit to the T-Mobile version is while on the T-Mobile network you get HDvoice (when speaking to someone else with hdvoice compatible phone on T-Mobile), you get the ability to talk and use data at the same time, and you get faster "4G" than their refarmed areas and you will hardly ever see E again.

All of which you do not get with the non AWS phone.

I will like to point out that you only gain the benefit on the T-Mobile network. For ATT it doesn't matter which version you use.

12. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Once u find one on eBay get the serial number

----------

All iPhone 5's will have hd voice on T-Mobile

13. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Nope, well at least not on their "4G" network. Probably on LTE it will be able to utilize the HDvoice.

First thing i noticed when i switched from the old iphone 5 to the new one was the drastic difference in call quality.

14. K1ngkev1n1 thread starter macrumors regular

How do u get a carrier update? Just update ur phone or what does that mean?

15. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

If you have a tmobile sim in your phone than go to the about in the settings menu and it will ask you to update carrier settings. If your phone already says 4G on the iphone 4S/5 than you already have it.

16. nicholasss macrumors regular

http://airportal.de/

For anyone who wants to see the reported "refarmed" zones. Post your area if it's not already and let others know. :)

17. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

settings -> general -> about

if carrier is T-Mobile 14.1, you have the carrier update. Otherwise, it'll prompt you to update

18. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Not true. LTE is not required for HD Voice on T-Mobile. The only thing required is the carrier update. And both parties must be using T-Mobile obviously.

19. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Ok, but it does not work when on the refarmed network only on the AWS Network.

But read my post again, i never said LTE was required. I was talking about the refarmed 4G not AWS.

20. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I have never heard of that restriction. There is nothing in the carrier file restricting it to AWS. There have been plenty of reports of it working on PCS.

21. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Well i dont know what "reports" you are referring to but i know from personal experience that it did not work with the non-AWS phones.

22. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Did those phones have the latest T-Mobile carrier file as well? Otherwise it will not work. HD Voice is not dependent on AWS.

23. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Yes, and obviously you have no idea what you are talking about and there is no point in arguing any longer.

24. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Remember that T-Mobile Carrier Update for iPhones that we told you about earlier this week? Yeah, it's now official. T-Mobile just posted the details of the update in its support forums, revealing both the information on how to obtain the update as well as an official changelog. The update is available for all eligible iPhones with a T-Mobile SIM card, and it can be downloaded either over the air (using a cellular or Wi-Fi connection) or through iTunes. Here's the full rundown of the update as provided by T-Mobile:

T-Mobile Carrier Update

Version

iOS software version 6.1
    Updated 4/05/2013
    Available to all eligible iPhones using a T-Mobile SIM card
    Features

Enables the following:
    Visual Voicemail
    4G network indicator
    Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)
    AWS LTE (T-Mobile and officially unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 only)
    HD Voice (T-Mobile and officially unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 only)
    AWS HSPA+ (T-Mobile and new 2013 AT&T iPhone 5 only)
    Auto configures:
    MMS Settings
    Personal Hotspot Settings (Smartphone Mobile Hotspot)
    APN settings for LTE connectivity
    My Account bookmark
    Improvements

Battery life (result of network/device optimization)
    Prerequisites

T-Mobile iPhone or any officially unlocked GSM iPhone
    Latest iOS software version
    Device software is not jailbroken
    50% battery life or connected to a power source
    Data connection or a computer with iTunes and internet access
    Minimum of 1 MB available memory (File size of update is ~10 KB)
    That's a pretty significant update, especially for iPhone 5 models that'll be gaining LTE and HD Voice support. Even non-iPhone 5 models will benefit from the update, though, especially thanks to the battery life improvements that will come from the network and device optimization that's included.

T-Mobile lists the update as being available today, but it's possible that the update isn't available quite yet since this changelog was just posted. If you've got a T-Mobile iPhone and want to check for the update yourself, you can head on in to Settings > General > About. A pop-up should appear if there's an update available. Be sure to give us a shout in the comments below once the T-Mobile Carrier Update hits your iPhone!

UPDATE: The official T-Mobile Twitter support account, @TMobileHelp, has told several users that the Carrier Update has been postponed. There's no word yet on what's caused the delay or when the update might begin rolling out, but we'll share more details with you as we get 'em.

Via TmoNews, T-Mobile, @TMobileHelp

25. bozzykid macrumors 68020

So did the other iPhone 5 on T-Mobile have the latest T-Mobile carrier update? Also, can you explain why it works on the iPhone 5 without AWS? Even T-Mobile states it does with the carrier update.

There's no restriction of HD Voice listed anywhere. People have gotten it to work on 4G. Just go to howardforums.com.