How to VPN on Snow Leopard (10.6)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mnya, Dec 15, 2013.

1. mnya macrumors member

I just learned VPN in System Preferences can hide your web activity when you are using another person's Wifi network (so that they don't know which webpages you visit!)
    This true? Then I'd definitely want to set it up as I am staying at a AirBnb and don't want people there to snoop my online business!

So I read several tutorials on setting up VPN on OS X, and I have a few questions...

1. Do I select Cisco for "VPN Type"? (Different tutorials select different ones.)
    2. What do I put for "Server Address"? Or how would I get the info?
    3. Are "Account Name" and "Password" my log-in info for my Mac?

That's it to start... thanks a bunch!! :)

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

A VPN is used to connect you to a remote network using an encrypted tunnel. What you are describing is a side effect from using a VPN. Its primary function is to securely allow access to corporate resources behind a corporate firewall.

From your post it doesn't sound like this is your goal and that you only want to secure your Internet traffic from other personnel at your physical location. To do this, you would need to purchase a VPN service that would do what you are describing and would make your Internet traffic appear to be coming from a different location than actually where you are and encrypt it on the way there. Search for VPN providers to get more information.