How to watch home made iMovies on Apple TV 1st gen

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by edavt04, Aug 17, 2016.

1. edavt04 macrumors newbie

Hey there!
    I have a 1st generation apple TV and Samsung smart TV.
    I make 3-5 minutes home movies about our family life, and was wondering what was the easiest way to watch the movies.

I like to organize my movies chronologically by years, that's why I don't like the idea of iMovie Theatre. In my iCloud Drive account movies are broken down to year 2015, year 2016 etc.

Are there any other ways to watch movies on smart tv?
    Thanks!
    Edita

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If they are formatted for that 1st generation :apple:TV, you have several options:
    • put them in iTunes and they should show up in "movies"
    • put them on a USB stick or hard drive and attach that to your TV and they should be playable through a TV media app
    If you've tried that first option but :apple:TV won't play them, they are probably not formatted for it. I don't completely recall but I think it was limited to 720p 24fps (or maybe 30fps) in a m4v container. If you don't know for sure, get Handbrake. It has a preset for that :apple:TV. Render one of them through Handbrake, drag the result into iTunes and that should definitely play on :apple:TV1. If that is what it takes, run all the others through Handbrake to get them in :apple:TV1 format.

It's not clear if the movies are already split into "by year" chunks, but you can edit & render them however you you like and then tag them by year if you want: 2014 Christmas, 2013 Christmas, etc.

If you are wanting to organize them on :apple:TV by year without using year-first naming, you can do what I do: tag home movies as TV shows and use the various show tags to assign dates, year and episode numbers to them. All my home movies appear in the "TV shows" section organized by season (which is year in my tagging) and episode ID number which gets various home movies shot during the year into the order in which they were shot.

I hope that helps.