How to watch movies that were played in the cinema few months ago?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Jun 4, 2017.

1. hajime macrumors 601

As video rental shops are gone and some movies are not available on youtube, what are the best ways to watch movies recently played in the cinema in North America?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Check streaming sources as ucfgrad93 suggested, plus Apple, Amazon Prime, etc.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I suppose there is still Redbox hanging around, but who uses DVD's anymore?

5. Zenithal macrumors 603

Most films these days can be rented or purchased online near the end of their theatrical run. It's often 2-3 weeks earlier than the DVD/BluRay release date. Amazon should be a good go-to.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you have cable, it doesn't hurt to check Pay-Per-View or whatever your cable company calls it(I think On-Demand here).

Despite the seedy past of it being for adult movies and wrestling matches, I know that my company has quite a trove of both recent and older theatrical releases. They usually pop up a month or so after the run ends at the theaters, which is about when they start showing up at other places. The price is generally $2-5, which from what I've seen is about what you'd pay from sources other than Netflix.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I used Redbox just this past weekend, for the first time. Cable and internet were out. It was actually quite convenient and much more affordable than PPV, and the movies seemed to be pretty current.

At least Redbox had movies I wanted to see. Netflix is MUCH more miss than hit, in my experience.

8. SoggyCheese macrumors 6502

SoggyCheese

I know this is a thread hijack of sorts, but just in case anyone from Blighty stumbles across the thread.

In the UK there's also NowTV. Best way to use that is to pay for a reduced cost one-month pass when they have a deal on, and then try and cancel it when it's close to the first renewal. They will normally offer three further months at just £3.49/month. Meaning you get four months to watch as many films from their catalogue as you like for only about £16-17.

After that, cancel it until the library of stuff you haven't watched builds up again. It's contract free, so you can just dip in when you want.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

In Apple Store, I found a movie. What is mean by "Pre-Order HD"? That that mean it is not available to purchase yet? Once I have purchased a movie from Apple, can I store the movie file in my Mac/iPad/iPhone to viewing offline? Do I own a copy of the movie as if I bought the DVD?