How to watch videos from iphone>external hard drive>PC?

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I put all my pictures and videos from my iphone onto my external hard drive so I can free up space. When I click on any of the saved videos on the hard drive, it automatically opens windows media player and says it can't play the video. Any idea how I can get past this?

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I put all my pictures and videos from my iphone onto my external hard drive so I can free up space. When I click on any of the saved videos on the hard drive, it automatically opens windows media player and says it can't play the video. Any idea how I can get past this?
is this time capsule we're talking about? not sure.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
From your phone? I doubt (though it's been years since I've used if) if WMP can play .mov files any more than iTunes can play WMP files. Download VLC and use that, or quicktime.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Thanks. I tried vlc and it works but it plays really badly. Like unwatchable and laggy and distorted.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks. I tried vlc and it works but it plays really badly. Like unwatchable and laggy and distorted.
Try QT. I've never had problems with VLC, but .mov files are designed to work with QT, so may work better in Windows than VLC, though that would be weird.

lowbelly

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
VLC is super optimized. If it can't handle them, I think your comp is just too old.