How to work on bringing America together?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iShater, Nov 14, 2016.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I have been thinking about this during the elections because it was obvious that not only do we have divisions, but we also have distrust and misunderstandings across the nation.

Now that the elections are over, it is time to focus on the reality that half of America doesn't understand the other half.

What thoughts, organizations, actions, etc have you thought of in order to build bridges in your community, your state, and across the nation?

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's going to be a long process.
    Step 1# A wise man once said "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Drop the hyphenated American.
    Stop buying the divisiveness of the likes of Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson and the media that has been crushed by their own lies and propaganda.

Accept the fact that despite our difference we are more alike than not.

Hold individuals responsible for their actions, expect personal responsibility.

Many more can be done, these are just some of the highlights that I can see that need to be done.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

So hold trump for all he said?

5. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Just like Hilary's basket of Deplorables? Calling the voters racist and other negatives doesn't help either. Another reason the Republicans went out to vote.

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Shhh. Their intellectual brilliance is so far advanced it's blinding them.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What has he said post election that has triggered you? Have you taken the time to watch any of his interviews or speeches immediately following him becoming President Elect? By all means continue to look to the past and this entire conversation and any like it held elsewhere will fail.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You mean what he said before he was elected is null and void? Funny how that works the whole personal responsibility thing only matters part of the time. So everything Hillary said about deplorables is to be forgotten.

9. SusanK macrumors 68000

Stop forcing the Hillarys on us and let the primary process decide the nominee. What Hillary said didn't work. DNC forcing the most unlikable candidate they could find lost this election. Stop blaming the other side. It's our team that sabotaged us not the opposition.

The ball is in the Dems court is they have enough sense to analyze the results of this election and stop looking for the bogeyman.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sure. Now can you answer the question that was posted in the first half of my quote?

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm very sorry to say this, but I am not at all optimistic about the prospect of America "coming together" anytime soon. I wish things were different, but I have to look at the facts as they are. Things are going to get worse before they get better. Possibly a lot worse.

Donald Trump began his political career with a lie: That Barack Obama was not born a US citizen. This was a deliberate lie when he said it. One that had been perpetuated by a considerable fraction of the Republican electorate and leadership for the entirety of his Presidency. To this day, roughly 40% of Republican voters still refuse to acknowledge this basic fact, one born out by documentary and other evidence that is impossible to refute. Throughout Obama's Presidency Congressional Republicans pointedly refused to address this lie. They hedged and dodged. There was not a single instance of a senior Republican elected official going on Fox News and telling its audience the truth. They used the "birtherism" movement as one more card in their marked deck to delegitimize and obstruct Obama.

How are we supposed to come together on difficult, complicated issues such as trade, climate change and the environment, healthcare, taxes, and immigration, when millions of Republicans choose to believe something that is undeniably false?

Donald Trump learned an important lesson from this: He learned that he could lie with impunity. That the way to get to the top was by lying. The more outrageous, divisive, and insulting the lie - the better. Why does anyone thing he is going to change his behavior once he is in the White House?

I have tried, in my own life, to try and reach some measure of common ground with Conservatives. I have expressed my support for the fundamental right of US citizens to own firearms. But any suggestion that we make it slightly more difficult for criminals, terrorists, and the mentally ill to get them is hurled back in my face. When discussing abortion, the idea that one way to prevent millions of such procedures (and countless personal tragedies) by increasing women's access to birth control, and young people's access to fact-based sex education is met with withering scorn and obstruction.

Negotiation is a two-way street. Any transaction requires good-faith participation on both sides. Getting everything you want, while ceding nothing to those on the other side of the conversation is a recipe for disaster.

Republicans will find all too soon the reality behind Trump's multitude of lies. Coal mining jobs are not coming back to West Virginia. Raising the price of Samsung TVs by hundreds of dollars is not going to result in RCA opening a factory to make them in the suburbs of Chicago. You simply cannot slash tax rates by hundreds of billions of dollars per year without inevitably increasing the deficit. You cannot pick apart the measures in the ACA, keeping only the good parts while abolishing those you find inconvenient.

When Trump fails to deliver on his promises, he will inevitably find someone else to blame. And the same people who believed Trump's lies in 2015 and 2016 will believe his new lies in 2017 and 2018.

So, no. I don't foresee this country "coming together" anytime soon. It will take a cataclysmic disaster, an economic collapse, a foreign policy nightmare to blow the blinders from the eyes of millions of Trump voters. I wish that were not the case, and can only pray that the damage wrought by trump's blunders and lies is not fatal to our Republic.

12. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

We need sweeping changes in higher education and viable, competitive alternative media, social media and maybe even entertainment. Young people are incredibly naive and impressionable. The impact of their social media feeds, what their college professors and peers say, and pop culture far outweighs who's in the white house.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Narcissists will say anything to get people to like them. It's his actions that I want to see.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    There are over 1000 channels. Surely there is something for you to watch. And pop culture has been around for 50 years. Are you saying Trump supporters are naive?

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

This made me chuckle. For 8 years the Dems have been blaming Bush for all the problems they either caused/helped cause/or couldn't fix. You've talked about how you have tried to "reach across the aisle" but you were frustrated when conservatives didn't see things your way. I don't see where you have demonstrated any type to willingness to compromise what you believe. Why should conservatives be the only ones compromising?

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What are the problems we now face and who was responsible for them.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You're wanting action when he can't do anything a President yet.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So what good are his promises yet. I don't want talk I want action.

18. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

It was initially started by a Hilary supporter during the Obama - Hilary election when they were running against each other.

Not by Obama's overuse of Executive orders.

The way Hilary lied to the FBI / Congress with impunity?

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think we are all responsible for that (dems and republicans). I think the biggest thing we can all do is mind our own f***ing business. Libs on here seem to blame conservatives for a lot and accuse Conservatives of being racist, homophobic, and stupid. Conservatives blame libs for overspending, lying, being intellectually dishonest, etc. Everyone needs to just "keep their eyes on their own paper". Be about your own business and stop pretending that you know everything.

20. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The trouble with trying to bridge the divide is that both parties have to be honest in their dealings with the other side. As wikileaks has proven, the Democratic party and the mainstream media collude and cheat to prevent opponents from having a fair shake. The GOP can't take the chance of working with the Democrats because they'll just get stabbed in the back first chance.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I have no idea what you want now. First you want to see action not words, then when being told he can't act yet, you don't want actions.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Where did I say I don't want action. I don't want baseless action. Or sound bites.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Fair enough I misread your last response.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

This is where the US Gov has been screwing things uyp royally. Action for the sake of action. They do something, even if its destructive and costly, just for the sake of doing something. "See, we did something. It f***s all Americans (except Congress in the example of the ACA) but we did something". No action is often better than action.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We need to drop the labels and be Americans. Government should not be ruled by sides but down the middle by the law for the good of the people.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    I agree the Iraq war was a mistake that we are still paying for 15 years later.