I'm a third year graphic design/illustration major who intends to update his three year ol' g3 500mhz ibook [dual usb model] with a powermac. I'm taking classes that make my g3 ibook absolutely useless, and i hate spending my time at the graphic design lab. Anyways, I'd like to raise some questions... clear things up. For starters, I've noticed posts in various mac forums that there has been a significant amount of complaints in regards to "chirping"? and "fan-related noise'?, something that is not suppose to happen? Admittedly, I know that something as fast as the new g5's will obvious make some noise, but nothing to which it would be as annoying as some people have claimed [chirping]. Should I be concerned about such issues? Or is it simply overblown? Second, as much as I want to purchase a g5, I'd still like to save some money. As powerful as the g5 is, do you think I should go that far up in the product line? I talked to an apple specialist and he suggested that I purchase a g4 instead. Thought it was more appropriate. Btw, I do heavy work with Illustrator, Painter, Photoshop and the likes, usually at the same time (multi tasking). The guy also mentioned that having worked previously as a graphic designer himself, that most businesses in the line of graphic work were still stuck on the g4 line and probably won't upgrade to the new g5's anytime soon... I've configured a g4 and a g5 at the apple store and compared the stats... basically, a dual 1.2 g4 w/ 20 in apple cinema display, and all the shingles for roughly 3200. now, a dual 1.8 g5 w/ 20 in apple cinema display, and all the shingles for just 600 more. Is that extra 600 worth it? How long would each of them last me? *sigh* Third, should I simply buy a ... dun dun dun, PC? I've been a dedicated mac user for three years now [ever since i started college w/ my first and current mac, the ibook] but the fact that rev b upgrades in the g5 powermac product line are stallin' ass, it frustrates me. I know things will always be upgraded, and you're bound to lose some money b/c of it... but wouldn't it suck if i bought a dual 1.8 g5 now, only to have it arrive at my door around the time when the rev b's are out? When I'm shelling nearly 4000 for somethin, i don't like the idea that it's not worth that much anymore right after doing so. So, why not just get a friggin' pc. Saves me ****load of money, i can tolerate the bug ridden os... lookin at an athlon ABS system right now... but I love my mac!! Grrr... ...so yeah, that's the gist of it. I figure I can wait til March to see if the rev b powermacs come out and nab myself one of those (hopefully they'll have all the rev a issues taken care of i.e. chirping, hum noise, quicktime issues...)... but I'm also tempted to just forget the powermac and switch back to the windows world. How troublesome... any comments, suggestions and the likes greatly appreciated.