How useful would NFC be to you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How useful would NFC be to you?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2012.
  1. Very useful.

18 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Fairly useful.

19 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Rarely useful.

23 vote(s)
    24.7%
  4. I don't think I'd ever use NFC.

33 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I'm just wondering how many people would consider NFC a useful feature.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Considering the area I live in, I doubt there would be a wide spread deployment of NFC for me to use. So I doubt I'd use it much if ever, at least right now.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Android has had NFC-enabled devices for a while, but those devices only have a thin market share. The problem is finding places that utilize it. I think if iOS adopted NFC it would become more widely used and that would be fairly useful for me.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

5. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

It's hard to say without much infrastructure. The only NFC thing I've ever used is an oyster card in London. Despite being contact less, most people still rub it over the yellow bulge, and I'm pretty sure I'd destroy my iPhone pretty quickly if I did that.

How near is near? It would have to be far enough that you wouldn't come close to scratching your glass phone on a reader, but near enough that only your phone would be read.

On the whole, I'd rather have an NFC credit card, I think.

6. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Too hard to tell now. However, If Apple does implement the technology, that would go a long way to making it become a standard, thus making it become more and more useful over time. Looking forward, it's only a matter of time for something like this to become ubiquitous, that's obvious.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and I agree completely.

8. 184550 Guest

9. Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

Anything that helps be get rid of the stuff I carry in my pockets is cool with me, I would use it. The problem is, will I be able to use it everywhere or still have to carry around cards. If I still have to carry cards because not everyone implements it, then forget it, what's the point?

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I say very useful because I travel between two countries and I've seen the possibility that NFC has.

In the States, it's not very useful but it can get there. But in Korea.. wow. I pay subway and bus with NFC. I can pay for any goods at any mart with NFC. Almost everything there has the possibility to be paid or used with NFC technology. Then again we still have to carry cards, but because Korean phones now have NFC built in, it eliminates having countless cards to carry.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

As things are, value is limited.

As things would be after Apple enters the market with NFC products and services...I'd find new uses I'm sure.

12. tomtom2234 macrumors member

Right now where I live I don't see NFC being used in the forseeable future. However, I am moving to New Orleans next month and I have no idea if it is used there / how fast it take on. I am also not so sure how I feel about having all of my purchasing power right there on my phone..

13. WindWaker macrumors regular

Previous problems with NFC have been that there hasn't really been any significant push to implement it internationally. However, given that Apple (since the 4S) is now releasing phones that have no variations, it is entirely possible that Apple could make a push to popularize it.

Think of the retina MacBook Pro. Right now, there aren't many retina-enable apps out there. The rMBP is exclusive now to most of the world due to its price point. If cheaper Windows 8 computers would be created (and you better be sure they will) with a resolution near the rMBP's more apps with retina would be created, unintentionally for the rMBP.

14. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

I think it would be very useful. I forget my loyalty and gift cards a lot.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not aware of anywhere in my town that it would be useful, but I could use it in a bigger city if it's compatible with the existing "Snapper" system. So far there are very few Snapper-compatible phones (I'm only personally aware of a single LG model).

Edit: It looks like the Samsung GSIII has it too.

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

If NFC became wide-spread in my area (eg: I could use it for my bus pass and paying in most shops) then I'd definitely use it daily. It would be great to only have to carry my phone and keys.

17. boomboom2 macrumors regular

NFC is used for more than just payment. You can use it for transferring between phones by only tapping them. One of my favorite applications of NFC are the NFC tags you can use. You can have one at different places you frequent (work, home, bed, etc.) and each tag will cause your phone to go into a different "profile" AKA going into vibrate mode at work with wifi on.

18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I've been saying this for some time now. NFC won't go mainstream until the iPhone gets it.

19. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I would love to use it but we'll have to wait and see if the infrastructure pans out.

20. Glockron macrumors member

NFC credit cards are super dangerous. Some website demonstrated by having a guy walk around with an RFID/NFC reader hidden in a regular iPad case. He would just walk by someone's bag, and he would have all credit card data. As it was a demonstration he would then show people. There's a vid somewhere but I can't find it.

Bottom line - always use an RFID shield if you do get an NFC enabled card.

21. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Do they sell RFID shields with tin foil hats?

22. R1PPER macrumors 6502

If NFC works out it will be used instead of the visa card in your pocket. I want this and i want to use my Iphone as an Oyster Card to travel. If it gets included in Iphone 5 then it "should" be full steam ahead for the UK for the swap over.

23. skidbubble macrumors 6502

It would be of absolutely zero use to me because I have no idea what it is.

24. R1PPER macrumors 6502

this Poll is a little premature...as most people don't under stand the implications of NFC. Its like asking would you use a debit card instead of money 15 years ago. Now everybody uses debit cards (visa). These questions are decided by the men vastly more important than us...and NFC has been chosen as the new mobile phone based global payment system. Apple has been informed of this meta shift in high street payment and is preparing itself.

25. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Here in Japan we use NFC since years; daily in bus and train; in Taxi, vending machines, ;MacDonaldo; you name it.
    As long the system are compatible I would be very happy to scrap my Suica-Card and use the new iPhone instead.

Pessimistic as I am I belive we will not see the same flexibility soon ...