How was the cosmetic condition of your Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klover, Jul 30, 2012.

1. klover macrumors 6502a

After much vacillating, I finally purchased an rMBP this weekend. Within minutes of opening the brand new, factory-sealed unit, I started finding lots of little issues with the overall condition of the chassis.

There was a 3-inch scuff near keyboard tray, a sizeable chip along the top of display which was very sharp, and numerous little specks of missing aluminum on the back of display. The aluminum on the lid was also very rough in some spots and smoother in others.

I ended up returning it but there we none left in stock. Just curious how others found the condition of their machines.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Wow, that sucks. Mine was perfect. I think this is a very rare incident.

3. bitfidelity macrumors member

Mine is pretty much perfect. No scratches or blemishes anywhere. I did, however, recently notice a very minute bulge or lip at the edge of the bottom cover, by the front left screw. I guess the cover didn't come out exactly to specification.

The condition of yours seems very suspect. Are you sure the unit was brand new?

4. Vyruss macrumors member

Mine was perfect, no cosmetic issues whatsoever.

5. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

6. TurnTronics macrumors member

Wow that is a bummer. Unfortunately, that kind of stuff happens from time to time and it's never fun when it happens to you. Have not received mine yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Are you going to swap it out for another once they have more in stock?

7. wiznet macrumors regular

Mine was also perfect - that really sucks, man.

Good luck on a better model next time!

8. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm positive it was new since the box was sealed and the plastic/EULA tag was sealed. It was made worse by the fact that I spent weeks convincing myself I should buy it :)

----------

They had no eta on new stock so I had it refunded. Will try again when I can find one. Might check Apple store today.

9. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Mine is not perfect. Nothing ever is. Those who say theirs are perfect are honestly deluding themselves.

If those surface imperfections don't cause usability issues on the MBPR, I could care less what they are.

10. klover thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can appreciate that perspective but I routinely upgrade my Macs and anything that could negatively impact the resale value is an issue for me (especially when I didn't actually cause these imperfections/damage).

The scuff near the keyboard tray and the chipped edge stood out very easily - I'm certain a buyer would notice them as well.

11. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be

Same here :(

12. jcpb macrumors 6502a

There are better things to worry about than the resale value of something you have already used.

13. Lvivske macrumors regular

14. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Mine was perfect but it had image retention issues, my replacement comes in tomorrow.

15. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I had a scratch on the screen with my first one, scratch on the body on my second one...:/

16. ColoArtist macrumors regular

Casing and screen are flawless. No imperfections whatsoever with my rMBP. :)

:apple:

17. Inver macrumors newbie

Mint. No issues. I thought they forgot to ship the thunderbolt ethernet adapter, but then I found out it was just me being stupid and not looking in the little black box. :)

18. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I have experience testing out 8 units of rMBP due to cosmetic damages, trackpad issues, keyboard issues, pressure marks, and backlight bleeding. All of these machines had some sign of cosmetic damage, whether it be dings, scratches, aluminum discoloring, or extremely small chips so I highly doubt that everyone who states they have a perfect unit is stating the truth. They probably just didn't look carefully enough to view it in different light conditions and angles to see it. So rest assured if you have minor cosmetic damages because the screen is what's most important in my opinion, I took 7 exchanges to finally receive the desired machine I wanted, although it's still not perfect.

19. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

mine had a slight bump on the trackpad, barely visible.

Worst part about it is that theres a slight broken part on the screen that has ruined the pixels behind it (or something).. might take it back.

20. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Mine had a tiny chip at the back corner and a mark that has now worn off under the arrow keys.

21. borisiii macrumors 6502

~6mm white scratch/mark on one of the bottom feet, otherwise fine.

22. usmaak macrumors regular

It seems like there are always more cosmetic issues on Apple products at the beginning of a release cycle. I was checking out all sorts of Apple type forums when trying to find a good iPad, and there were numerous reports of scratched and dented iPads. Those have slowed down, now that they're in the 25th week of release. I think that they rush to get these things out the door, and quality takes a hit.

But yea, sucks when it happens to you. :(

23. ColoArtist macrumors regular

How's your luck at cards? Better than your luck at the draw for rMBPs I hope.

Short of using a microscope to inspect my new rMBP, I've found the unit to be truly flawless.

It's a shame you've had so many problems getting a good machine, but there's no need to call me a liar. Why would I lie? :confused:

:apple:

24. Robin Chung macrumors member

Robin Chung

Mine is close to perfect. Backlight bleeding very minimal, no cosmetic imperfections and a lovely display. Only issue:

My right arrow key isnt completely level, the right side of the key is more pressed in than the left side. Thinking about replacing the unit because it doesn't feel good to the touch.

Hate it though because everything else is perfect in my eyes, can apple perhaps replace individual keys? :(