Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tx2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
For those of you who pre-ordered the iPhone X from AT&T, or have in previous years, how is the preorder process? I've always bought directly from Apple, which has worked well for me other than never being able to get a pre-order in fast enough for launch day delivery.

It seems like this year there has been lots of talk regarding carriers having more launch day stock compared to Apple. Those of you who pre-ordered the X, were you able to get day one delivery, and if so, how many minutes after the pre-orders opened did you order?

I guess I'm trying to see if I should consider maybe buying directly from AT&T vs Apple the next time I decide to upgrade.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
If you try to order it now, you'll be fine. It was when preorders first went live where things got...interesting.

I got onto myATT for giggles after ordering my phone from Apple and was greeted with a 28 minute wait.

Attachments

• IMG_8981.PNG
    IMG_8981.PNG
    266.7 KB · Views: 71

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
I usually order via Apple as well and went with AT&T this time. I was able to preorder 5 minutes before preorders were due to open so that was exciting. I have a November 3rd arrival date with an order status of "Preparing to ship". I'm glad I went this route because I was not able to get into Apple's app or website for about 10 minutes after preorders.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
If you try to order it now, you'll be fine. It was when preorders first went live where things got...interesting.

I got onto myATT for giggles after ordering my phone from Apple and was greeted with a 28 minute wait.

I waited before the countdown ended and got in easily, it was after I ordered and went back I was hit with that. Odd. But it doesn’t matter(found it by accident)

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
I've gone with ATT in the past and thought I'd go Apple this year. But ATT store came right up at launch time whereas I could not get into apple for 10+ minutes. Ended up with a smooth ordering process thru ATT and expected launch delivery. Everyone seemed to recommend going thru the Apple App store this year. For me I could not get in at all via the app store and only got in on apple.com by then times had slipped.

It also seemed Apple had trouble communicating with ATT for carrier verification. Well after launch time ATT was still quoting launch deliveries for most models. Many Apple orders however went to reservation because they could not be verified with ATT. I think that gave the advantage to people buying on ATT. But others on this site had trouble getting into ATT so I'm really not sure how it all works in the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.