How was the year of white iPhone 4 compare to JB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvanEiga, Sep 15, 2016.

1. EvanEiga macrumors regular

A few people suggested that the JB iPhone situation (particularly 7+) is very similar to iPhone 4 White when it came out, I mean no one got it until months and perhaps next year IIRC.

But Steve Jobs mentioned that white iPhones won't be available for another few months didnt he? If we're promised a Sept 27th-Oct 3rd date, we should get it within that range if not earlier, I hope.....

Fun Trivia, while visiting Apple's flagship store in Cupertino HQ around the year 4 was released, I actually saw a few Apple employees walking around with white iphones lol

2. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

I think they came out the next spring, maybe with the Verizon iPhone announcement? They were originally announced at the regular iPhone keynote (maybe at wwdc that year) and then when they went on preorder they were no one to be seen, unorderable, which threw off a lot of people planning to order them. Apple was pretty quiet at first then came out with a statement that they would be avaialable soon or something like that.

So it was different that the JB delays since the JB is out there on launch (and not just for employees) for the iPhone 7 just not the plus and the fact that it can be ordered.

3. EvanEiga thread starter macrumors regular

Oh so steve didn't mention anything about delay in white iphones? I was under the impression that everyone knew about it but kept on waiting until they realize that they won't get it within the near future, that's what threw people off.

Yeah I mean since JB iphones were orderable and we were even told a delivery date, we should just keep on waiting until our promised delivery dates...

PS: as if it's possible to be patient with new iphone releases :D

4. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Yeah I don't think they announced the white was going to be delayed, I waited up all night to preorder it and settled for the black that year.

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

The new 'back' of the black that's not the piano (jet) black is pretty. and no ugly white bars or whatever through it. I have space gray now, kinda wanted to go with white next, but erhm, tempting !!

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

There was a problem with the white paint not being correct, if,I remember, which caused the delay.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2016 ---
    The iPhone 4 was also the first model to break AT&T's exclusivity deal with Apple.

Verizon got the iPhone 4 also. That didn't help...

7. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Yea I don't believe he did, I remember everyone wondering why there were no white option presented even to order.

8. iMatt. macrumors 6502

Was something to do with the yellowing of the white plastic I think. Don't know what the excuse is this time.

9. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

iPhone 4 white was a phantom launch, even many months after launch it was impossible to buy. Rumor was that glare / lighting that reflected off the white surface screwed up camera shots, which Apple felt was enough to pull the plug completely.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not the same situation. The white iPhone 4 was delayed because of production issues with getting the color correct. The JB is sold out and that may be because of limited stock rather than production issues.

11. piecookie macrumors member

I don't really remember, but I do however remember how people were drooling over the white iPhone 4 (myself included).

12. bidwalj macrumors 65816

jb is different as the norma 7 did ship already and will be in hands tomorrow. the issue isn't the finish but rather supply. seems like apple didn't make any jb pluses.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Verizon didn't get the iPhone 4 until the spring of the following year. Almost 9 months after launch. And that is when the white 4 finally launched.

The iPhone 4s came out in October of that year. The first time switching from June release to October release. The availability of white at launch was about on par with black.

14. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yes the paint wasn't curing to a bright enough white and so Apple refused to ship them until they got it right. I think it also had something to do with getting the paint right so that the glass top would bond cleanly and not make it dim either. People were furious for months, but that was kind of a different situation unless Apple is trying to make this one more scratch resistant or something.

I've got a Jet Black 128GB reserved at the store tomorrow evening. What sucks is that after reading the reviews, I'm starting to regret having purchased it instead of the matte black. If they really are this restricted, maybe I'll just sell it on eBay and make a pretty penny. Then I can order that SE for my wife that I've been needing to do, and I can use that for the next month or so until the matte black 128GB gets here. She said her iPhone 5 is running a little slower on iOS 10 so I think she's finally ready for an upgrade, lol.

Also, when I see people write JB iPhone I think they're saying "jail break."

15. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Definitely absolutely no mention of white not being available for preorder at WWDC that year--the white was the one that did all of the "modeling" that year and looked so damned sexy that I, along with thousands (or millions) of others, was set on ordering it at preorder. Aaaaand....nothing. Couple that with the (at the time) usual server issues, and I think I was up for an hour and a half trying to order a phone that didn't exist. I settled for black and thought long and hard about paying an outlandish upgrade fee to get the white several months later when it finally did launch, but held out. That was a cluster.

16. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I had a friend who was head of the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store at the time. I went in for a warranty replacement on my 4 due to some issue I can't remember, but at the time I asked him if I could get a replacement with the white one, and he ignored it and never said a word back to me, but when the replacement model came out of the drawer, it was the white one. It jacked up the remainder of my warranty due to the switch, but totally worth it.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Welcome to 2016 when the jailbreaking community is basically dead (at least relative to in the past).

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Kinda sad. I remember when it was just getting started and the term was coined. Back then every single little iPhone OS 1 update was a big deal because the iPhone was so limited. I remember being amazed when we got the iTunes store. Nowadays our phones have so many features that people just don't bother messing with it. It also doesn't help that most of the low-hanging fruit is gone, and the things left that we wish our phones could do are things that would take profesional teams of people several years to pull off. So from both ends it is becoming more difficult. I followed the JB community but only really JB one of my devices, my iPad 2, and had fun playing emulators with the Wii remote on it. It was really weird using a mouse with an iPad. The thing was glitchy has hell though. I remember there were troubles JBing the Apple TV 3. I really wanted to turn it into a web server since it had twice the RAM of the ATV2. I stopped caring at some point so IDK what ever happened with that.

19. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Wow, a glossy white variant will look soo good - not to mention make those micro abrasions that much harder to discern! Here's what may happen in a parallel universe a few months down the road.

1. iPhone 7 in Pearl White (glossy)
    2. iOS 10.1 with dark mode

The irony is real here.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No different from the new all-white ceramic Apple Watch with "dark mode" AMOLED display.