How well does the conservative/liberal spectrum apply to you?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Melab, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Melab macrumors regular

I am all over the place with my political positions. Very libertarian on civil liberties, my attitude is liberal, I prefer my economy to be capitalist barring a few laws against anti-competitive practices, pro-secularism, and I am for a flat income tax.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm pretty dang liberal in my politics, and pretty conservative personally.

I think most of us are an interesting mix.

My pet peeve in the political sense is when someone describes themselves as being fiscally conservative. I mean really, is any rational person who isn't fiscally conservative? It's not as if liberals don't understand finances and budgets, we just prioritize our spending differently. And we're more willing to dip into our pockets to pay for the programs we want to support.

3. GKDAIR macrumors regular

I'm pretty left, but just because I'm left doesn't mean I go easy on the democrats.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well it's more so that they are less willing to spend money on projects, programs, etc....

That's being fiscally conservative.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just took that questionable test and I have nothing in common with Romney .

Jill stein was 87 % and Obama was 70%.

I am a liberal but this test only matches you to the candidates answers. It does not take into account the fact that most candidates say anything to get elected.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

8. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

88% Obama

the other 12% went here:
    Do you believe the theory of Evolution? Of course not!

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

94% Stein, 76% Obama.

Mitt Romney 7%. :p

I was surprised that (according to the site) I align with the Democratic party more than the Greens.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

98% Stein, 84% Obama, Mitt Romney 4%*

I was most surprised to see Gary Johnson scored an 80%. What the heck was he doing in the Republican party?

*What a freakin' loony lefty!

11. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

I consider myself to be a Liberal so here in the UK that leaves me with the Liberal Democrats, now a national joke thanks to Clegg, and Labour, responsible for many good policies mixed with some absolute shockers.

Good to know that I'm 89% with Obama, go Democrats!

12. Melab thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently, I side 90% with Gary Johnson (same guy I am voting for) on economic, domestic policy, social, healthcare, and immigration issues. Does this mean I side 90% with him on those issues or all of them? I side 84% with the Libertarian Party. Strangely, the runner up is the Green Party with 68%. Huh?

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I want the Federal Government to tax fairly (my definition, not the GOP definition, richest pay highest rate), remove loopholes and rework the tax code from the ground up; efficiently manage and set limits on Federally funded entitlement/social security, ensuring their viability (stop robbing the fund); define and manage a national health system so that average people can afford heath care; require that all wars will be paid for with adjusted tax rates; require National Service for all young adults. I'd also like a government/economic system where average people don't have to work until they croak if they don't want to.

This is the least that what we self describe ourselves as the greatest country on the planet should aspire too. Don't ask me how the Federal Government would accomplish these things. It requires smarter people than myself. These days this would make me a liberal. :p

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm curious about your reasoning for voting for Johnson.

I'm actually a Green party member. But I'm voting for Obama because I choose to cast my vote for the candidate most closely aligned to my political POV who also is most likely to win the race.

Can you explain your voting strategy?

There are a lot of liberals who voted for Ralph Nader, and helped seal the victory for eight years of the Bush Administration. In hindsight, how wise does that look now?

15. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Apparently, I agree with the Greens, the Democrats, the Libertarians, and American Voters, but, hardly at all with today's Republicans. Hmm, what does that say about today's Republicans? And, who in the heck is Virgil Goode? Whoever he is, I don't agree with him ;)

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Totally agree.

Republicans need to find a way back to the center, or else they risk making themselves irrelevant.

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It said I side 95% with Gary Johnson. I'd vote for him, but I feel like it would be a wasted vote. It would be nice to see a stronger Libertarian party because I think the big two could use some competition, but it seems third parties have such a hard time getting off the ground.

18. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I vary wildly in my views but most side with libertarians, more so in the social beliefs of absolute freedom in regards to human/civil rights than the fiscal ones.

Party: 84% democrat, 79% libertarian, 77% green, 54% republican
    Candidates: Gary Johnson at 97%, Jill Stein 73%, Barack Obama 68%, Mitt Romney 54%

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Otherwise? I mean, what would you imagine happening if the Rs completely imploded, dropped to less than a third of congress next year and below 20% by 2015. Now the Ds would have their chance to write rules that would squeeze the Rs out of play effectively for good. How long would it take before the people fought back against D-domination, and what would be the end result?

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I hate when both sides use small or big government terms. Each side contradicts themselves and only wants small or big government for only their specific ideas/beliefs/causes.

I lean more towards liberal/democrat, but I don't agree with plenty of their views. I have 100% complete distrust for republicans/conservatives, they will never get my vote.

IMO .... we need a totally unbiased person who's true desire is to help all .....as a dictator for a good 10 years. :D

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am:
    78% Johnson
    78% stein
    74% Obama
    39% romney

79% green
    77% democratic
    60% libertarian
    23% republican

I was a little surprised by the results as I always considered myself a conservative leaning moderate

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've always believed that people were too smart to implode ... that humanity would find their way out of their problems. However, I've begun to lose faith in that ability. Our inability to face and surmount big problems like climate change have made me wonder if we are as intelligent and pragmatic as I once believed.

It's hard for me to fathom that Republicans could be so stupid as to hold their hard line. Surely they will realize the need to shift back to the center.

Surely ... right?

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you sure you're Green? Because Greens know that it was Dubya and Jeb excluding thousands of legitimate black voters along with Gore not fighting that won 2000. Read Greg Palast's The Best Democracy Money Can Buy if you haven't already learned the real story.

24. Fazzy macrumors 6502

MR members' results of that test would make the GOP puke :p

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member