How well is the single port on your rMB holding up?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emilioestevez, Sep 27, 2015.

1. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Are any owners here at all worried about the durability of the single USB-C port? If that lone port were to fail, no more charging/accessory use. :(

2. Macalway macrumors 68000

No, it's pretty robust.

Anyway, multiple ports don't exist because you may need spares when they fail. :D

3. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Not worried about it since I'm using it 99% of the time for charging. I've found myself mostly ditching USB peripherals, even with the adapter I have. I never had the charging port fail in even cheaper, lower build quality windows laptops I've had.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I purchased Apple care. Not for that reason but due to the machine being ultra portable. So really I have no issue if the port fails.

Have I had any issues? No and I use it several times a day. It's a great port design.

5. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I also purchased AppleCare, though not even thinking about the port when I did. My first MacBook (the old white model) had two major failures that I thankfully had AppleCare to fix. Laptops are one of the few products I still always get the AppleCare on.

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I use mine frequently throughout the day, I have no concerns. :)

7. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG]

I have no issue with durability, just concerned when I plug in the power cord for charging and rub it against the notebook's housing. It feels like it must be making scratches but when I check it it's perfectly fine.

As the ports get smaller, the need for targeting accuracy increases. What used to be a spacious floppy cavity has turned into a tiny little hole, in a dark hotel room it's like attempting lunar orbit rendezvous sometimes.

BJ

8. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Even worse before non reversible plugs :)

9. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I couldn't agree more!

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Personally I have no concerns, as USB C is engineered to be significantly more robust than previous iterations, nor have I ever had a USB port fail due to mechanical wear & tear...
    Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 16.00.37.png
    10K min for USB C...

Q-6

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Turn the lights on then, it`s more fun that way ;)

Q-6

12. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

No worries here. I've even bought some new cables to connect my external 2.5" hard drive to it, so I don't have to use the multiport adapter. I was worried about that breaking after a while.

13. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

LOL, very good.

BJ

14. ericv macrumors regular

The USB type C port is what I like least about the new Macbook. Given that I generally use it for just power, I feel the magsafe adapter was easier to use. I get that this is just my use case, but it doesn't feel as strong and I too worry about scratching the side of my laptop. Another downside is I have to look in order to plug in. With the magsafe I could just connect.

15. Dayv macrumors 6502

The USB-C port is fine, but I have some scratches around my headphone jack, which I connect more often than most users probably do, but less often than the power cable!

However, I do have a tendency to plug in headphones in the dark, while my wife is sleeping -- that may be the culprit.

16. tlou macrumors newbie

I bought one of these today, and I'm finding it very difficult to unplug anything from the usb c port.

It appears you need quite a bit of force, is this normal?

17. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

If you look at it from another angle, people are pretty rough on their iPhones, and they've only had one port since they were introduced.

18. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yes the retention force is great on USB C

Q-6