How/When do you monitor if you need more RAM???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Stats:

Gen1 Mac Pro, Quad Core 2.66
    5 Gigs of ram
    Raptor System Drive
    3 other drives for files

Usage:
    Photoshop for web design, Flash, VMWare Fusion to run Windows, tons of browser windows for doing web development, Illustrator, Indesign, Dreamweaver.... all usually open at once.

I've had the machine for 2.5 years. 5 gigs seemed like alot at the time, but now as I monitor my iState, I see I am at around:

Uptime: 13 days
    Page Ins: 5,300,000
    Page Outs: 350,000

I've attached a picture of my istat also, so you can see my memory as it is as I type this post with my usual "daily workload" programs open

I know a 5million:300thousand ratio isn't that bad for 13 days... but would throwing in another 4 gigs make it ever better?

It's the old ram too, 4GB (2GBx2) PC5300 DDR2 ECC 667MHz 240 Pin FB-DIMMs http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53FB2MPK04GB/ is what I am looking at.

What do you think? More ram? Or is that not really what is hurting me?

Attached Files:

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Eh, it can never hurt, but I don't know that it's going to help much. Keep in mind that unless you're running 64-bit software, only 4GB is going to be used for any individual program, but it's entirely possible that the system is managing it down even lower than that per program right now if you have several things running at once most of the time.

If it's not too expensive (didn't look at your link, but it's fairly reasonable now I think), it's worth a try, but it's probably not the primary cause of the issues you're referencing.

jW

3. cube macrumors G5

You don't look at the paging totals.

You execute 'top' in the Terminal while your workload is running and look at the instantaneous paging (the numbers in parenthesis).

4. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have photoshop cs4 set to use 2.7 gigs of RAM, and it shows that only 3 gigs are total available.

I have no idea how to run that terminal command. Could you explain?

Or is my computer probably fine and as fast as it's gonna get.

I do have a 150gig Raptor 10,000rpm drive as my system drive, but would a new 500gig seagate or something be just as fast or faster? The system drive is only 60 gigs, I store nothing on it but OS X and Applications. But I know that the old 150gig raptor might not even be as fast as newer drives.

5. cube macrumors G5

Terminal is in the Utilities folder.

Type 'top' at the Terminal prompt.

If you need help, type 'man top' at the Terminal prompt.

6. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I thgouth there would be more to it, I got top running and can see the page ins and outs as they happen.

I think the biggest hog is the virtual machines of XP and Windows 7, when I open them, even with all my ram, they just are such huge files it just cripples the system. My XP virtual machine is a 20 gig file.

7. cube macrumors G5

When you start a program there is going to be at least some paging to bring part of it into memory, unless the whole of that is still in RAM.