How white nationalist groups found their candidate in Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Today's Fresh Air had a pretty interesting segment about the popularity of Donald Trump among white nationalists, a concept defined and discussed:

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/03/43719...-groups-found-their-candidate-in-donald-trump

The segment is based on a New Yorker article.

(These online transcripts of the radio program are somewhat inexact, especially when it comes to punctuation and attribution.)

Definitely worth listening to.

2. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

"We're not saying that he is these things, but we do notice that some [insert negative group] also like him. We'll start slow and subtle, but you wouldn't want to be associated with them, would you?"

I'm a Bernie Sanders fan who isn't registered with either party (**** them both), with multiple college degrees and a big supporter of immigration. And yet I'm also rooting for Donald Trump, and hope one or both become the respective nominees. So Osnos' numbers get to expand even larger.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sounds like a famous Ronald Reagan viewpoint:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110613...g/publications/crb/id.1019/article_detail.asp

and, indeed, it has already been observed that Reagan and Trump have a lot in common.

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

How do you reconcile supporting both Bernie and Donald Trump? They are almost polar opposites.

5. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

If you want an article on it, which took about 2 seconds to find... http://reason.com/archives/2015/08/10/bernie-sanders-and-donald-trump-ties

But more than anything else, both campaigns have a nice "f#ck you" message that summarizes my perspective on politics at this point.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

IMO it’s because people like Trump, Sanders, Le Pen, Wilders,Tsipras, Farage and company are not seen as part of the political elite of their various countries.

These people can and do say things that most politicians won’t say, and the general public loves it.

Across the world there is a distrust of politics as usual, it looks like one big game to outsiders, mostly because there is no vision any more from politicians, they act more like mangers.

The downside to all this is that the media feeds on these outlandish statements, which only makes them promise more outlandish things. But in the real world all governments are done by committee, so when these people are elected, they cannot get their policies through (because of all the committee’s, compromises, deals, etc).

It’s then that they are seen as just another politician who broke his promises, and lo an behold another radical will in time stand up and say outrageous things and the public will be in love again.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

News flash. Any scary group that opposes anything and everything from the left and our current President will not be voting Democratic.

This thread is all about the headline.

The kind of instant news bite favored by the leftists and marxists for the slow population that does not delve into the matters of the argument or who need to be spoon fed what to think.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This threads is about how Trump made Republican racism/bigotry/hate mainstream and out in the open. Deal with it.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

How the New Black Panthers found their candidate in ( insert Democratic contender here)

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The NBP are basically unknown to the American public lest your ilk that keeps bringing them up. If not for you, they'd get zero press coverage. Now let's back to your party in full out revolt.

11. FieldingMellish, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

FieldingMellish Suspended

Okay, so how about this headline?

How generations of blacks in many American cities vote Democratic, despite decades of complete Democratic rule over conditions of crumbling infrastructure, poor schools, unemployment, high-crime, drug use, gang violence, death and despair; all the while Democrats favor open borders so that whatever slim-to-none chances of getting a job only increases many-fold?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Knock yourself out. The Democrats are pretty pathetic but the Republicans are pathetic personified. I will only vote Democratic in national elections because Republicans are bat **** crazy and we will be in for a world of hurt if Trump or Bush or Rubio or <insert crazy here> appoints the next 2-4 SC justices.

13. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Unfortunately this is the situation for many voters, we vote Democrat because the likely alternative is a frick'n nightmare hastening the decline of the New Roman Empire.

The thread subject all most reads like a proffecy, but I think we agree that proffecies are notoriously difficult read until after the dust settles. ;) if you want to scare yourself read The Dead Zone by Stephan King, which features a politician and a button...

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Trump is not liked by either party. But he is not cowed, nor beholden, like the standard issue Republican; and the fact that the American population is transfixed with Trump in Obama-like numbers is a MAJOR cause for concern for all the obvious reasons.

You might say that the Left CREATED Trump, by the pile-on that sought to harm Trump in multiple ways after he disclosed the well-concealed fact of illegal immigrant crime. The same kind of leftist, tyrannical pile on that has ruined people of less means and communication.

15. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

A fifth Trump thread on the front page.

Let's make it six!

16. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

You might say that if you want to reveal just how unable you are to deal with political reality. And the red text is supurb, describing the conservative bogeyman. :)

It's the GOP base that pushed Trump to the top of their heap of sorry candidates, a true reflection of the illness prevalent in today's conservatism. And if you have not noticed, the GOP establishment, the Forces of Righteousness are spending just as much time trashing him. What will be very interesting is if the GOP establishment sees the writing on the wall and transforms itself into the Trump Fan Club, but then I won't know if I should be thrilled to death for the Democrats or petrified for the future of our country. When you have that many delusional, selfish people in the populace, it's not a harbinger of good things in our National future.

If you don't want a Republican in the White House, Trump is an excellent choice for the GOP, IMO. As far as straight positions, there are a couple of things he has said about lobbyists and campaign reform that I like, but it never escapes me that this guy is a narrcacist, and as far as I can tell, a hawkish loose cannon, who has problems with reality and priorities, such as the effort and expense of deporting millions of illegals and building a very long fence as if that would solve the problem. In good conscious and for self preservation, I could never vote to give him access to the big red button.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe the republicans need to disavow policies the black community sees as racist and instead stand for reform, removing corruption and competent governance.

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

No, all Trump did was to convince "the silent minority" to come out of the shadows and proudly embrace their racism, bigotry and hatred.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Remember that Pat Brown was delighted to be running against Reagan, because he thought that Reagan's deliberate flirtations with right-wing extremists would taint him in the eyes of the voters. (see previous link).

20. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

A Calif Native I grew up immersed and surrounded by liberal politics. Now a few decades later my thoughts and views have evolved. I'm most certainly not devoted to either party. Especially since contrary to what some will acknowledge, politics and the process of electing a president have changed dramatically, and remains very dynamic.

I don't believe in labels, IE: R or D yet I respect the system for what it is.

The Republicans? Phew what a mess!
    But the evil empire they're painted as by the haters and radicals on the left... I don't think so.

The Dems? A mess that may be even worse!
    But they've been so successful at hiding much of their nefarious actions thanks to their masterful intimidating control over the press, the media and the uneducated masses that even when certain truths are revealed their cult like gang of spin masters and coverup geniuses, quickly cover it up.

Replaced by massive repetition of their "narrative" the unemployed dependents they've created will believe any story told by the great orator or his minions.

What a dog and pony show :eek:

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

Some white nationalists support Trump.

Everyone who supports Trump is a white supremacist and racist. And a skinhead. Because they are bald. And a lot of men are bald.
    And a sexist of course.

Vote for Hitlary! She can never be sexist because she is a woman.

22. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, the one thing all Trump supporters seem to have in common is a desire to treat people with disrespect. It give them great pleasure to watch Trump insult everyone. But just as there is no honor among thieves, the disrespectful will eventually turn their disrespect towards one another and then the whole Trump candidacy will cannibalize itself.

23. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It's a tad meandering but slate took a swing at this

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._does_the_candidate_s_rise_represent_the.html

Nevertheless, I believe that white identity politics is indeed going to become a more potent force in the years to come, for the simple reason that non-Hispanic whites are increasingly aware of the fact that they are destined to become a minority of all Americans. According to current projections, that day will come in 2044. Non-Hispanic whites will become a minority of eligible voters a few years later, in 2052.

Under asymmetrical multiculturalism, minority ethnic groups are encouraged to assert their group identities and to defend their group interests while the majority ethnic group is strongly discouraged from doing the same. Overt expressions of Jewish, Mexican, Laotian, or Bengali pride are very welcome. Overt expressions of WASP pride, however, are not.

The majority does not need to assert itself, as members of the majority can be serenely confident that their interests will always be served. The trouble is that this serenity is much harder to maintain as majority-group status slips away.

Anti-immigration rhetoric tends to frame high levels of immigration as a threat to natives, not as a barrier to integration, assimilation, and upward mobility for the tens of millions of immigrant families that have made their homes in the U.S. over the past several decades. There is no major politician I know of who is offering a robust case for the melting-pot ideal. And that is a shame.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

Geniuses at Slate stating the obvious, in agreement that Ted Kennedy's intentions in his 1965 Immigration act have been coming to fruition and guaranteeing the Dems lots of votes.

But Slate is behind the time and made a huge faux pas, because Melting Pot has been declared a racist phrase from the ever-busy academic minds in today's colleges.

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

Talk about stepping right into it, my dear Eraserhead. Let's try this headline:

How Democrats the other day donned KKK outfits in order to protest Trump, along with brandishing a big sign denouncing Trump as racist.

Commentary and video at Gateway Pundit, but it's no joke. ;)

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...s-dress-as-kkk-to-protest-donald-trump-video/