How wil iOS7 fare on an ip4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinedoc77, Sep 16, 2013.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Just out of sheer curiosity has anyone tested ios7 on a ip4, not a S, just a plain vanilla ip4. I just sold my ip5 in anticipation of a 5s and have been using an old ip4 I had laying around. On ios6 is LAGS pretty badly, it's kind of weird to see an iOS device lagging as despites it's otherwise glaring weaknesses ios has always been butter smooth. No complaints here, it's a 3 year old phone that Apple still supports so kudos to them.

I was curious though if iOS7 will bring benefits to older hardware, or will the opposite happen and it will lag it even worse?

2. Brenz macrumors member

I'm running it on mine and while its not perfectly smooth its certainly usable. It stutters now and again but on the whole its not a lot slower than iOS 6 but I will be upgrading to a 5s on release

3. Lazrhog macrumors regular

I agree with this comment. Been running it since beta 3. Perfectly usable - especially for the safari improvements which are awesome. Am also upgrading to 5s though :)

4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

It's smooth enough that I'm likely sticking with my iPhone 4 for another year.

5. curiosity macrumors regular

On YouTube you can see the iPhone 4 in action. Search for "iphone 4 ios 7 gm".

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Everyone who says it's smooth enough has never used a 5. I fresh installed the GM on the 4, my testing device, and it's a terrible experience. You can't do anything at a decent frame rate. It's just plain slow, laggy, and choppy. What's worse, all the fancy visual effects are turned off.

7. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

8. alexglee macrumors regular

alexglee

It runs slow and animations are a little choppy. It works, but I don't recommend it.

Hardware: iPhone 4 32GB (launch day stock)

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

But that's sort of the thing...I've never used an iPhone 5, so I don't really know the difference.

10. grimmace macrumors regular

I'm glad you posted this question. I purchased the first iphone. The 3G was nice but didn't do it for me. The 3Gs really had my interest but still didn't grab me. The iP4 was great and I purchased it. Even with the slightly new form factor, iP5 just pissed me off due to its one way stretch in design. Now here I am with the desire for a 5s but I absolutely know the iP6 will the THE ONE to get. It has to be the larger size to compete at all with the rest.

Every single so called upgrade to the IOS has caused lag on the iP4. I have the latest IOS 6.1.3 and trying to take a photo quickly now is not an option at all. I remember how quick and clean the photos were when this came out. It was great! All those IOS upgrades are purposely screwing us to get us to purchase the latest stuff. It really sucks to not have the IOS7 experience but I for one will not upgrade on the iP4... Now I'm stuck another year waiting for the 6. Watching stock go up a notch and then fall big once again.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

The iPhone 4 is the new 3G. Barely fast enough when it was new and lagging after subsequent updates.

People seem to loathe the s updates, but they've been some of the most meaningful improvements.

12. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Why are you waiting for the 6?

13. grimmace macrumors regular

I want a larger phone. The iP5-5s is just a stretch of one way in design. It needs to be WIDER! My hands are just fine with a larger phone, but I will not leave the apple ecosystem. Therefore I am just left to wait. IOS7 runs as expected on the iP4. There are some improvements but still some lag on features like trying to take a photo. It still takes a while for the phone to open the lens! That "layered" effect with the home and lock screens also doesn't work. It's just flat.

14. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

My brother has installed iOS7 on his iPhone4 and its running fairly smoothly.

Once you've upgraded, best to erase and do a fresh clean install of iOS7, seems to run even smoother once you do this.