How will AT&T regulate their Facetime policy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBreatheApple, Sep 13, 2012.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I'm confused at how AT&T will be able to physically regulate using Facetime over a non-shared data plan? Will it be on the software side? Working with Apple on blocking it is the only way I could see them being able to limit the feature...?

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I'd think the traffic would be coming across a specific port and they could block it that way, but then again, it's allowable for those on Mobile Share plans. Therefore, it may be a verification step, similar to the way that tethering can be enabled. I know that before I had tethering via the Mobile Share plan, going into that option would check the server side (the activity circle would spin) and then come back saying I'd have to call to enable it. Once it was enabled via the Mobile share plan, clicking on the tethering option simply let me turn it on. Again, maybe the option for 3G Facetime will work similarly.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The same way they block tethering on lines that dont include that feature. Through a carrier configuration file.
    Once JB that can be changed easily;)

4. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

So that obviously has to be implemented into iOS, right? Apple shouldn't allow them to do this. In fact, IMO, it is very (I know many despise this term) "un-Apple" to allow this as I know they don't like inconsistency among their devices. Could Apple not simply say, "no"?

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yea can we still use the FaceTime over 3G JB app?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wish they would do something about it but its up to the carrier to decide to get greedy and sneaky or not like Verizon and Sprint that do allow it on all data plans.
    AT&T thinks that feature can only work or should be available only on mobile share plans.
    What can I say, pretty crappy move by AT&T.

Yes, I been doing it for years:D

7. outphase macrumors 65816

Under Settings, General, Cellular in iOS 6, there's a list of features that you can "Use Cellular Data for." On my 4S, the list is iCloud Documents, iTunes, FaceTime, Passbook Updates and Reading List, all with the On/Off toggle. When you attempt to switch FaceTime to On, you get the alert saying that you need to be on Wi-Fi or have an eligible data plan.

It's apparently verified server-side.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Very interesting discussion. I would guess somewhere in the carriers database system, your phone ID comes across allowing a call to be made. Along the way, it also determines what you are allowed to do - intl, roaming, data, etc. And in this case, facetime.

I am thinking the carrier can do it on their side the same way they verify you are a valid customer in the first place.

9. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Ugh... I mean, it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it's disgusting.

10. antman2295 macrumors 6502

I personally think that is bull. People pay HOW MUCH to At&t, and they can't use facetime, but they can use skype? Its not right that we should have to "pay more" to be able to just facetime. I also think its unfair that don't let higher data plans (AKA ones with tethering) not be able to do this either. I think they should let people do this, and when they burn through all their data, then they can pay more.