How will the 750m 2GB compare to the 1GB 650m for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yabot, Oct 22, 2013.

1. yabot macrumors regular

I know its just a rebranded 650m, but it has an extra gig and maybe they overclocked it a little like they did the 650m?

So i'd like to know how i'd run games such as Battlefield 3/4, WOW, few other big names.

Obviously a little better... right!?

2. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

650M to 750M is worth about 10-15% increase in games.

They are essentially the same chip.

3. Serban Suspended

i dont think it worth 500$ more for the high end model Just for dGPU

4. LoMonkey macrumors regular

It's a $600 upgrade, but you also get a 2.3 GHz processor instead of a 2.0 and you get double the RAM and SSD. If you upgrade the base 15 inch model to the same specs, you pay the exact same, but don't get the dGPU. Not too shabby if you ask me.

5. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

While the upgraded battery would be nice, the graphics performance boost isn't near enough to sway me to upgrade. I've had this baby since launch day and I'm still loving it :D

6. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

You can also think about it in another way though, you get the 2.4GHz processor (albeit an older generation), and a dGPU for the old low-end 15 inch instead of the current low-end. ;)

7. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Exactly----that's not a shabby upgrade @ $600. Apple doing essentially a buck a GB on the SSDs is pretty cool---especially PCIe SSD modules...if these are anything like the Mac Pro updates----with Read/Write speeds approaching (or exceeding) 1,000MB/second...these guys are gonna flat, fly! 16GB of RAM and a nice boost in clock speed as well as 512GB SSD...to me, it's a no brainer.

I'm with you...although, I waited til last September to buy my 2012 rMBP, as well in November, one for my wife. I love it---best computer I've ever owned. And I'm assuming we'll see some battery life improvement with Mavericks as well? Regardless---mine is good for at least 6-7 hours away from a plug in and that's as good as I've EVER had on a laptop.

That said---the new PCIe SSD, the 1TB option...and a helluva iGPU coupled with the updated '650m'---> the new 2GB 750m, kinda tempting. I'd love to have a full TB of storage @ these PCIe R/W speeds! Oh...and as you mentioned, battery life extension with the Haswell architecture.....It's a killer to be an 'addict' ;)

That's true---you'll sacrifice some battery life---and even though I/Bridge is clocked higher, I'm going to assume they'll perform in near parity....BUT, your point is well taken. Those looking to upgrade to the latest, greatest....with offerings on Craigslist, eBay, as well as Apple's own 'Refurb' store. Not a bad choice...especially if Mavericks and Safari is the update those that complain about low frame rate scrolling on high density pages complain about;)
    If the new OS addresses that as the Safari Nightlies have...this year's early machine on Ivy Bridge isn't a bad buy right now....if the rest of the updates aren't appealing

J