How Will The Release Of Mountain Lion Affect The Price Of Core Duo MacBooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Goftrey, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Hey guys, I've been a long PowerPC user and have grown to love the architecture and everything about it BUT I NEED an Intel machine to do anything half productive. I was going to get a dual 1.8 G5 in April to do my main work on but now with the announcement of Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion I was wondering if the prices of the Core Duo Macbooks will drop considerably?

The 1.83 core duo's are going for around £250-£275 at the moment,
    A dual 1.8 G5 will cost me £110.

What's worth getting for the money (I've haven't exactly got money pouring out of my pockets) and if you think CD's price will drop dramatically?

Cheers :)

2. ct95 macrumors regular

I expect OS X ML will have minimal impact on price. The release of the Ivy Bridge Macs will push the price of all the older models down, however. The price of the Sandy Bridge models will drop the most, and the older models less, both in absolute terms and on a percentage basis. I believe if you look at a refurb one generation old direct from Apple the price drops 15-20%. That should pressure all the used market prices down.

Ivy bridge Macs are due possibly in April or June, if you project purely based on availability of the new chips from Intel. April would be earliest, and there's buzz that Intel wants to delay Ivy Bridge chips to clear Sandy Bridge inventory. I hope the stupid slow Windows PC market doesn't slow our upgrades!

Seeing as you NEED an Intel, it seems a dual G5 will not do what you need, so you probably ought to bite the bullet for the Core Duos, whether now or in April/June.

3. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Awesome, thanks for this dude :)