How will we test Touch ID in stores?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willcapellaro, Sep 13, 2013.

1. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

This is an early question, because the 5s is not in stores yet, but I'm curious how potential customers will be able to test out the Touch ID sensors on the 5s. I'm assuming that will be testable, to help people decide if it is something they want on their phone.

Seems like a logistical nightmare if the typical throngs that hover around the tables have users that are spending 5 minutes setting up their ID. In addition, someone will be forced to stay at or go back to at the same phone to do further phone testing, because only that phone will remember their print. Supposedly the phones only hold a certain number of prints too. And are people going to worry that their fingerprints are being stored (that is moot, but they still may have to reassure people).

I really want to test out the sensor (I don't care about security, don't use a lock screen, but I do want to avoid slide-to-unlock) but I want to know how many months I should wait until the crowds die down. Or maybe they won't allow testing of that feature.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Demo software that allows the sensor to work, without actually locking the phone to a fingerprint for more than 1 minute or something......

I'm sure Apple can figure it out.

3. willcapellaro thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope so. Otherwise I may not shower that day, just to have some space.

4. Vctr macrumors regular

I suspect maybe they will allow any fingerprint to unlock the phone. Sounds stupid, but it'll show how quickly you can get into the phone once you put your thumb on it. This would of course be just for the store models.

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ya.

My guess - demo software that mimics the lock screen on the phone (almost as if you're in an app that "looks" like the lock screen) so you can use your fingerprint to "lock" the phone, pass it to someone to try to unlock it (they can't) and it can then be reset so the next person can do it.

I believe there have been hands on videos by some of the major tech sites showing the feature off.....the demo software would simply allow there to be an easy way to reset the fingerprint scanner.

6. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

Exactly. All the demo iPhones in the apple stores have custom firmwares, and because retail is a very serious factor for Apple, I'm sure they're going to come up with a way to make it accept any fingerprint, or something like that, for testing purposes.

7. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Key will be to allow it to accept a fingerprint, reject others then be easily reset for someone else.

I think people will want to see that the sensor won't just accept ANYONE's prints when one has "saved" theirs. The hands on vids and accounts thus far have said the same - that people have put their prints on it and the person next to them couldn't access it.

8. billycuth macrumors 6502a

In cnet's hands-on video found here: http://reviews.cnet.com/iphone-5s/ it appeared that Scott Stein programmed his fingerprint, then demoed it.

I'd imagine that's how its gonna work in store.

9. Kurso macrumors 6502

The NSA will have demo kiosks inside every store ;-)

10. willcapellaro thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed it will have a custom FW, but this is something where mileage may vary more than the typical forked release. I will worry that one or the other will be sluggish.

[Adding: Rewatching the video, I'm not terribly worried, but still want to test out before purchase. May wait to see if others have issues with it.]