how will you feel if Apple fit the iPod Touch rear camera in the iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Simple question really.

If the iPad 2 gets the same camera unit, with no flash, and lower resolution/spec that is currently fitted to the iPod Touch, rather than the all round better unit that's fitted to the iPhone4, how will you feel?

Personally, I will be very disappointed given that this is their product to "show what they can do with" and they are supposed to be leading the field in this new marketplace.

Of course you may disagree and feel it's the best thing for them to do to fit the lower end unit.

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

iF?
    Id say that it's a certainty that the current touch cameras will be in the next iPad.
    The iPhone is still the number one.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

It's a total guess from me, but from the things we have seen so far, I suspect you are right.

What with the, we think, restyle. It's almost as if Apple are trying their best to make it as near as possible like an iPod Touch, rather than distance the iPad from it to avoid just being called "A Giant iPod Touch"

It's a gamble on their part if that's what they are actually aiming for as a company.

Personally, and this is just my own personal opinion which I'm sure others will disagree with. I would rather them make it, it's own product in it's own right, and give us what feels like a new different product with a new UI that has been made for the larger screen, a bit like the Playbook and Honeycomb UI's have been. Rather than, it's almost seeming to be, deliberately trying their hardest to make it look like a scaled up smaller device.

To be honest, this is not the path I was hoping they would take, and I still hold out hope I am worrying to much and they are going to offer something better than what I fear they are perhaps aiming to do.

4. mklnk macrumors regular

Who are you quoting? Yourself?

5. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, perhaps quotes were not the right tools for the job.

I just see the iPad, like the iPhone as a 'look at what we can do' product.

No one would deny they lead the field in Tablets. It's obvious. I will just be amazed if they are so arrogant to think they don't have to try to stay at the No.1 spot in the future as they can just rely on brand loyalty.

All I would like is for them to tread the iPad as a 1st class device, and not the poor cousin of the iPhone, which may or may not be the case, it's a little early to say.

6. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I don't really see the need for a rear camera on the iPad 2. The only reason the Samsung Galaxy Tab has them is because it is an enlarged Galaxy S phone.

I'm not against the idea, I just wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't include it.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

A camera wasn't important to iPad 1.0 buyers (based on sales) so the inclusion of a camera on iPad 2.0 isn't likely to sway a whole lot of new buyers. I doubt a whole lot of people are sitting on their hand waiting for inclusion a HD-esque camera before buying one.

As a iPad 1.0 owner what I want to see in 2.0 is practical upgrades -- better screen, better sound, better connectivity, better battery life, and lower weight. Anything else is a bonus but secondary.

9. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I couldn't care less about a camera in any device other than my cell phone, and my camera.

10. Sickkage macrumors newbie

Sickkage

I don't see a need for a rear facing camera but it's probably going to happen, just so Apple have another feature to talk about and show off.

I'd be surprised however if they used the Touch's camera in the next iPad- on a screen that large anything shot with it would look terrible, and that's not Apple's style.

11. aduteau macrumors 6502a

What are the specs of the ipod touch camera V.S the iphone 4 one ?

I for one would find it really useful to have a rear camera on my ipad ... especially in meetings where I could take pictures of the White boards where we all pitch in our design review notes.

Going to clients for inspections of products I wouldnt need to bring along a digital camera ... only my ipad

Insted of scanning paperwork to email a client, I would just take a pic of the document

And so on, the camera would not be used for taking vacation pics ( for those special moments .. you need your SLR Camera ), but for every day work related pictures ... I can find it really useful

But thats my 2 cents and my usage

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm more interested in a front facing camera for FaceTime than I am for a rear facing camera.

13. phonk macrumors member

I need a rear facing camera in my iPad as much as I need it in my MacBook. I don't. So I won't care.

14. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

They will go with the rubbish camera and then improve it in iPad 3 and make a big issue over it.

15. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

You know what, I can actually see this happening.

iPad2 gets lowish quality rear camera with no flash, magazine and on-line reviews point this out again and again.

Side by side comparisons showing other Android tablets indoor photo's that do have a flash in comparison with iPad2 grainy dark shots. Perhaps even higher resolution.

iPad3 Apple answer these criticisms by fitting far better camera with a flash unit.

Can't we just skip this happening and fit a good one right away?

16. nomik2 macrumors regular

I am...I specifically didn't buy an iPad because it didn't have a camera and I knew that iPad 2 would have it.

17. WLS macrumors 65816

Me too Chupa. I have to agree with others that the camera will be from the Touch series especially when you factor in the beveled edge that seems to be on all the projections. Smaller edge thickness means smaller camera that fits up in there. Apple clearly showed us that the goodies will go to the iPhone not the iPad.

18. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I've got to agree with Chupa Chupa, there are a number of other things that are more important than an HD camera. Personally these would include more RAM, a faster processor, less weight, a less reflective screen and a similar or better battery life. If most of these are addressed then I definitely wouldn't be disappointed to get just the iPod Touch rear camera.

19. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

It'd be nice, but Apple tends to release products lacking in features and capabilities, only to include them later for the sake of making more sales and more profits.

If they get it right the first time, less people will upgrade to the next device.

Great business move on their part, and we are all dumb for falling for it time and time again.

20. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

On the other hand, they COULD fit the best products they have to use, this year.

And then next year they could again, fit the best products they have then.

Always using the best the have to hand for that year.

21. whitesands macrumors newbie

I look at it this way, if I'm planing to take photo's I'll use my camera, but sometimes I need to take a picture and don't have my camera with me so I use the camera in my phone as some kind of photo is better than none.

I guess what I'm trying to say for me is, if the iPad has a camera I can use it if that's all I have with me at the time.

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

And they could do this by always ignoring economics, by ignoring whether Apple's increased demand for 'the best products' like cameras and screens will affect their price from suppliers (it will), by ignoring whether those products are actually available, by ignoring whether the change to profit margins will impair their ability to position themselves competitively (it would), by ignoring whether it will affect the price of the product and therefore consumer demand (yes again), and by ignoring whether such a move would be sustainable in the long-term.

Not only that, but the iterations from year-to-year would be as incremental as they are now, so the consumer would still be in the exact same position! I guess Apple can't appease people who, faced with anything, perpetually pout that "I just wish it were....better than it is."

23. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Of course it all depends on the drawbacks for fitting something better.

We can't just throw in the best of everything we want into every device as it probably would not work well together.

However, on other issues this would work fine.

Say in this instance you have a space for a camera. You could fit in a 5 dollar camera or a ten dollar camera. They both fit, they both draw about the same amount of power. The better one will be a higher resolution, look better on a larger screen, allow perhaps better document photo's due to resolution, and also (and many other benefits) then for the sake of 5 dollars, which select the cheaper model?

Of course. I know Apple does not want to be seen to be lagging against the other tablets, so I'm assuming they will want to make sure their camera is at least as good as those in forthcoming tablets that will be on the market at the same time as the iPad2.

24. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Disapponted, but unsuprised.

25. Itxdjx macrumors member

iPod touch has a .7 mega pixel camera that can do 720p recording at 30 fps. Hopefully this is not the one on iPad 2 cause will look horrible on a 9.7 inch screen. I'm hopping it will have the current iPhone 4 camera 5 megapixel also capple of 720p 30fps. So I'm expecting apple to up the iPhone five camera to ATLEAST to record 1080p 30fps so the iphone will always have the advantage in cameras! It's currently 5mp 720 at 30 fps.

But we will see hopefully the camera on the iPad 2 isn't bad

But I also think more ram speed lightness and better display are more important to me! Not the I cant be usefull, I'm just saying how many cameras do you need!