How will you justify buying anything other than the Sports?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pinksteady, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Considering the following facts:

- the wearable market is in its infancy and smart watches have yet to prove themselves as valuable indespensible devices
    - No-one has actually tried or used an Apple Watch yet so no-one knows if it is actually any good
    - as the Apple Watch is gen 1, there will likely be some significant improvements in the coming years

On this basis, when you show people your £600+ Stainless Steel Apple Watch, and they look at you in disbelief because you spent that much, how will you give a serious respectable answer?

To be very clear, im playing devil's advocate - I'm not judging anyone here for what they choose to spend their money on, but I'm asking from the hypothetical perspective of most non tech-obsessed people,who will probably think you are bonkers.

(The Sports Watch on the other hand, while not looking as nice has a more believable response - "it is gen 1 so I got the cheapest I could to try out the category, decide if it is for me, then if I like it I can perhaps invest in a nicer one in a year or two.")

2. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Sapphire screen. I don't want any scratches.

3. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

4. jaymc macrumors 6502

jaymc

"Bought this SS link AW cause I like how it looks." If they don't like that response, I don't care. :)

5. urda Suspended

urda

Easy to justify when you have that level of disposable income honestly. I've been waiting for a great smart watch to replace my watch, and the Stainless Steel is just so good looking. Why should I have to worry about giving a third party a "serious, respectable answer"? It's my purchases I don't have to justify it to them.

6. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Because I like the look of the SS more. I don't mind paying more for style and aesthetics.

Also... SS has saphire screen.

7. Mythicstatus2 macrumors regular

Same reason people buy a Mercedes rather than a cheaper Honda.

8. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

Personally I don't feel the need to justify it, i have pre-ordered the one that I like the look of the most.
    I think it all comes down to personal taste, I have also ordered 2 sport bands for the SS for the gym and exercising but also because I like the look of them. I'm not normally asked to justify why I wear the shirts or the jeans that I wear so I can't see this being any different.

9. shandyman Suspended

I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone. My friends respect my opinions and choices, as I do theirs. Sounds like the OP either needs new friends or is just shallow... ;)

10. Glene macrumors 6502

Retired....no need to justify any purchases anymore, wife went crazy when I brought home a new 14 Vette a few months ago.....LOL

3 bands , 2 watches ordered, will cancel a few items after my try on appt later today....

11. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Great replies here.

Yes, the SS looks better than the aluminum.

...and it's more durable.

I am a blue collar worker. I bang my watch around all day long on equipment. It needs to be more durable, ding and scratch resistant than the basic watch.

12. plwebb macrumors newbie

plwebb

Two reasons... Sapphire crystal, and I don't want to wear an aluminum watch.

13. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

One reason: the black crown

It's a minutia but a significant one.

14. mac-jones macrumors newbie

mac-jones

Responses to this question will widely vary obviously so here's my .02

I initially wanted to get the SB SS 42mm version, but remembered back to the days when I picked up the very first iPhone. I jailbroke it as soon as it was possible and enjoyed the experience. There is no doubt in my mind that some of the jailbreak community will switch over to the Apple Watch and create the features future Apple Watch iterations will ship with. Also, there was the resale value when it comes time to sell for the next edition. Whether true or not, research shows the devices on the lower end usually sell better than higher end versions (16gb vs. 128gb iPhone).

So with these two points for me, the SB Apple Sport Watch made the best sense for me. My resale value should be higher than what I would get with the SS SB. Plus, if it was damaged through a jailbreak process, or new method devised, I would be looking at a $400 loss vs. a $1k. However, once the two points above no longer matter, then I will sink some extra coins on a SS model or above model...

15. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Unless your feeding, financing, or ****ing me, it's none of your business.

16. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

17. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

didn't realize Mercedes and Honda are made exactly the same internally. Good to know

18. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Sapphire, and no dings. Aluminum will be all dented up. Not to mention if you see someone with a Rolex you just assume that's what they choose to spend money on, you don't say omg you spend 10,000 dollars on a watch???

19. MojoRisinSD macrumors regular

Most non tech people will not have any idea how much the :apple:WATCH costs, and anyone with any kind of social etiquette won't ask the price either. This is a non issue in my social circles.

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why does anyone have to justify how they spend their money? :confused:

21. AaronChicago macrumors member

I'll admit, before going to the Apple Store I had decided to go with the Aluminum just b/c it looked sleak and similar to the iPhone. I didn't like the SS smudges on some of the reviews.
    But after seeing them in person I changed my mind in a second. Stainless Steel looks so much better than Aluminum that it's not even funny.
    I would've either bought nothing, or the SS. Of course I went with SS. :)

22. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I've worn a stainless steel watch with saphire crystal almost every day for the past 11 years. It seemed like a no brainer to pay $200 extra to have these luxuries when I paid far more than that for my last watch that only showed the time and the date with the same materials.

I also believe that the internals of the Watch will be upgradable when a new chip comes out. I'm sure it'll cost as much as a Sport, but hard for me to imagine Apple expecting those who spent a thousand (or more) on a watch that it isn't upgradable to the latest technology for at least a little while.

23. Brian Y macrumors 68040

That hasn't happened with any other device, and would cannibal sales of a gene device - so I would not count on that happening.

I personally went with the sport as:

- The shiny stainless steel would drive me mad.
    - If I don't like it, I've not wasted too much money.

Next gen, I'll go for a more expensive model.

I'm not worried about scratches - I've work a pebble every day for the last 2 years, which is a very basic plastic. It doesn't have a single mark.

24. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Same here, I've been waiting on a nice smart watch to replace my current watch. With the different bands it can look dressy as well as casual...

25. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Quality. You pay for what you get. The aluminium just looked cheap to me.