How Will You Setup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adam044, Sep 17, 2012.

?

How Will YouSetup

1. From iCloud/Computer Backup

63 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Setup as new

71 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

How will you set up your new iPhone 5? From your current iPhone back up or set up as new?

I will be setting up from my current 4s backup, want my picture and stuff on my new phone

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I always go for "setup as new".

Why **** up your brand new device with a bunch of old crap on your previous cluttered iPhone?

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Setting up as new. Will re-download everything.

4. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

5. Mutherluver macrumors member

icloud. its not a comp and restoring wont mess anything up. (registry, etc) plus saves a lot of time.

6. HarryLarry macrumors newbie

I will do an iCloud restore because 1 I want my old data like texts, app data, etc. and 2 even though iCloud restore will be slower, I can start using my phone faster. However, I will make a computer backup just in case.

7. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

Setting up as new. This will be my first time. Wish I would have thought ahead to save some of my pictures in camera roll before selling my iPhone 4 but I guess it's ok.

8. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I will use icloud backup. I set up all my computers as new but the iPhone is different. I have several apps that I want the data from and it will not affect the iOS because the phone will come with version 6 and the backup will have 5 so only the apps and data will be restored.

9. Mutherluver macrumors member

all icloud restore does it goes and downloads the apps off the app store anyway, its a no brainer.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I always setup as new. A new device is a great excuse to start fresh.

11. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

You calling my stuff crap? En garde!

Seriously, I'm upgrading from a 4/16 to the 5/32. With so little room on my current phone I've had to constantly dump pics, vids, apps that I don't need. So I'm in pretty good shape to just do a backup and restore.

On Friday I'll have plenty more room for a bunch of, erm, crap. :)

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's wrong with your iPhone? It's running iOS, not Mac OS. The app data is sandboxed within each app and it doesn't really run things fully in the background for very long, so I'm not sure how, exactly, having some Angry Birds saved-games move over has any effect on how your phone works.

13. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Does icloud transfer all settings and setting or saved games from apps

14. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

Can you setup as new and still get your pictures back in your camera roll? I forget been a year

15. rhuntington3 macrumors newbie

Since I am moving from Android: :)

Set up as new. :apple:

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i have gone both ways in the past on both iphone and ipad and really to be honest it never ever made a difference except for the fact that it's way easier from backup

17. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Still debating. I did a backup/restore from my 3gs -> 4s, but ran into similar crashing issues on both.

I currently only sync my contacts (not apps) with iCloud. What's the easiest way to restore all paid apps if you don't want to do a restore from backup? I think iTunes had just a "get paid downloads" or something.

18. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

LoL :p

Sorry I can be a bit of a nut with what I would call 'crap', by no means does that mean other people are held to the same standard. Thats just me being crazy ;)

19. parrot5 macrumors 6502

If you do backup to iCloud, then yes all settings (including email accounts and preferences) and save games will carry over.

I've done this about 10 times now. On the old phone (or before reloading OS), go to iCloud in Settings and do a manual backup. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes if you have used iCloud backups before, since it automatically backs up everyday when charging. After that is done, just fire up your new phone, connect to Wi-Fi, put in your iCloud account, and choose to restore from backup. Then wait a few minutes as it retrieves and restore your settings. After that your new phone is ready for use. The rest of the apps will continue to download in the background.

20. i4Collin macrumors regular

Setting up as new. I used to always do it from backup, but 3 years worth of old stuff I wasn't using filled up 10 extra gb of space on my iPhone 4S, ruined its performance and battery life, and it often got very hot and froze. Restored it as new and never had a single one of those problems again.

21. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Does this save folder setup too or does it just throw all the downloaded apps onto the home screen without folders?

22. adam044 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam044

Keeps everything just the way you had it

23. carouselcolours macrumors newbie

This is my first iPhone, and my first iDevice in general since they've introduced the iCloud period. I'm spending the next few days setting iCloud up so that once my phone comes I can just click a few buttons and have most of my stuff on my phone.

24. amyangel macrumors member

setting up as new then just loading my essentials until a jb is avail. have to since my backups are all from my jb ip4.

25. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

I don't know what to do. There's only one app that I REALLY want to transfer over to my new phone.

It's Temple Run.

I have over 3000 of those wings and like 400k+ coins. =P

Other than that, I'm ready to start out fresh! xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.