How Would This Monitor Be For Light Vid/Photography Work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NickD, Jul 18, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

2. john2006wright macrumors regular

That looks nice, although I'm no expert. What is the HDCP and how important is it. I've heard something about it allowing blu ray DVDs to play at full res???

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Practically any monitor will do but you need to calibrate it regularly.

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Terrible. It is a TN panel. Horrible color, terrible viewing angles. Which means your inaccurate colors will look worse when you shift by a few degrees. I do not recommend TN screens for photography work.

An IPS, PVA, or MVA will serve you better. The Acer is cheap for a reason. No amount of calibration will correct the shortcomings of the panel itself.

Will it work? Sure. You can edit on any LCD. If you can stand the decrease in size a higher end 20" would serve you better IMO. I know it sucks though, I have 2 24" LG MVA panels, so sweet and great color and nice blacks. Calibrates wonderfully and the backlight is very even.

I would recommend saving some more and maybe going for the Dell 2407WFP-HC, pay attention to the HC, it has the 92% color gamut and better backlighting.

5. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Wow. I never knew that about the TN panels. Thanks for letting me know! I guess I'll just save until I can get the Dell.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Some are saying the Samsung TN 22", the... 226bw or something is moving TN panels forward. TN is really the only panel that has a lot of innovation and advancements going still. In a low cost sense.

IPS panels come in more flavors than S-IPS. H-IPS, A-IPS, etc. Which are really the standard for image quality. Accurate color, superb viewing angles, and the blacks are getting better (this was an issue for awhile). The Apple displays are IPS and all 30" displays the rest take some research.

PVA, MVA, (VA panels) give great angles, accurate color but not as robust as IPS, this is changing though. The blacks are fantastic however. Don't let contrast ratio fool you (3000:1 dynamic, etc), the backlight is still the Achilles heel for blacks on LCDs. LED and other tech are much better at blacks.

TN, *-IPS, and *VA panels are the ones you will see today. Some pros swear by IPS and ACDs. However, other panel techs have come far and exceed or match IPS. Namely MVA panels.

Eizo uses *VA panels in their "lower" end LCDs (still $1000+ USD). Dell uses a PVA panel in the 2407. If you want to research displays check out the hardforum.com display section. Some of the best information you can find on the net. Hands down.

http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

7. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Thanks again for all the info! It really helps me out!