How would you adjust your airport extreme/express for your iphone & ipad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OverSpun, Aug 26, 2010.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

It seems like it wont get past 1 bar sometimes, and very very sometimes it'll max up the bars, and I'll use the speed test right around by the airports and it seems good, but..

These problems are like this from 1 room away the airports depending on either my extreme or airport. I've restarted both, and I turned 5ghz on, and tried wide on, and didnt help. :(

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The iPad strongly prefers WPA2 encryption only over mixed WPA/WPA2. Mine stubbornly refused to stay connected until I reset my Airport Extreme to WPA2. Since then (and after the 3.2.1 upgrade), I've had relatively few problems with wifi. I was at my in laws' last week and had more problems on their network than I'd seen in a while; sure enough, they had mixed security on their setup.

The iPhone hasn't given me any trouble yet, not sure what you might be having an issue with there.

3. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I checked mine to see, and both routers are on WPA2. I cant remember if I've used WPA/WPA2 on them. All my computers are on WPA2 anyway.

And, also.. which would be the best choice for Radio mode? Its standard setting on a/g too, should I switch on 5ghz or just n? Ive never even looked through that.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Mine's currently set to 802.11n (b/g compatible)--up until last week, we still had one original iPhone on it, so I needed to stay backwards compatible for that.

5. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I just turned my express on 802.11n without b/g, and N seems faster. I was getting about 7900 mb/s down and 1900 mb/s upload.

How is anyone else getting? Both my ipad and iphone are about that same speed.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Over 17000 kbps down, 2500 up on my last iPad test about 20 mins ago. But it's late, and we've got the really fast Comcast, so when all is well, that's about the max I get. Average is around 10K down. The phone is slower than the iPad typically.

7. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

wow.. which app do you use to test it? that HD something app?

8. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

and on 5ghz/n also?

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Just the iPhone speedtest.net app, 2x on the iPad. And yes, the ip4 can handle the faster network, where the 1st gen phones can't. I should look at what I can change now that those aren't part of the network.

On the other hand, everything is working pretty well at the moment, I probably shouldn't mess with it! LOL