How would you change the US government?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, May 12, 2017.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

In the wake of Comey and Trump in general, what should be in place to improve the government and?

I would support:

1) Independent executive bodies such as the FBI should not be fireable by the President

2) The minority party would need to have 10% support and majority need 85% for any legislation to pass regardless of the balance in the Senate and House. IE if there are 60 GOP and 40 Dem, any measure would need 51 GOP and 4 Dem. If 50/50, would need 43 and 43 (85% from both). If 51 and 49, would need 41 and 5. This would mean a majority is not necessarily needed BUT would require support from the minority party to pass, allowing for the NEED for bipartisanship.

3) Court nominees and all presidential appointees to head of departments would be subject to the above condition as well to help prevent "cronies" of getting posts

4) Impeachment order would be same as above and if not ratified, a special election would take place (I am still unsure of this in my head on best approach)

What idea do you have?

2. niploteksi macrumors regular

For this to work you would need more political parties.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Proportional representation.

If one percent of the population votes Green, then there should be no less than than 4 Green Party members elected to congress.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

How so?

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Your suggestion is to have two executive branches?

6. niploteksi macrumors regular

Because with only two parties there are less chance of coming to agreements than if you had three or more parties. The downside of having more parties is that one really small party could have an unreasonable amount of influence if allowed to use its position to sway majorities back and forth.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

(1) Constitutional amendment to say that corporations are not people, congress may regulate spending on campaigns. (e.g., repeal citizens united.)

(2) Constitutional amendment changing all federal elections to be rank choice elections.

(3) Constitutional amendment requiring all redistricting to be done by the judiciary, which can delegate the task to an appointed neutral party.

(4) Increase funding for the judicial branch 5x. Increase funding to public defenders, and alternative specialty courts.

(5) Single payer healthcare.

(6) Set up a public funding for all federal election campaigns, with matching. Taking public funding is optional, but all private money raised in excess of public funds by someone that doesn't take public funding is matched from public funds to the opponent.

(7) Lots to be done on taxes, too long to list.

(8) Increase NASA budget.

(9) Move the capital to Denver.

(10) Term limits for congress.

(11) Constitutional amendment outlaw judicial elections.

(12) Constitutional amendment requiring all lobbyists to register, keep records of all conversations, publicly available. Including spoken conversations.

8. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Agree with number 1

Number 9 are you going to Federalize Denver and take land from Colorado?

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Don't care about the details, I'll the lawyers figure it out. The point is, strategically, Denver is a safer city from foreign invasion. Having a coastal city as the capital is silly. Also, maybe the thinner air and weed culture will be good for politicians and mellow them out.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

You forgot the big one - prohibit all election campaigning until 120 days before the election; 90 days to the primary, 30 days to election.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They can get blitzed where they are at. It would probably do good for the country. Coastal cities and beachhead invasions became sort of a mute point after ICBMs, so moving it for that reason isn't much of a reason. I'm sure you realize that D.C. isn't in a State for a reason.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I like it!

14. darksithpro macrumors regular

1. Term limits in the House and Senate to 8-10 years.

2. Remove earmarks in bills.

3. Freeze raises to congress, until federal minimum wage is raised and the economy is doing better.

3. Set up funding limits and restrictions to Presidential candidates, so big money cannot buy the Presidency. Hillary spent like 1.2 billion and Trump spent like 600 million, that's just ridiculous. Joe Biden wanted to run, but no way he could outspend Hillary and Trump.

4. Can we please have a candidate that's not a Republican, or a Democrat, or doesn't have to run with one of those banners to actually have a chance to win? Not possible with the way money and party go today.

5. No one in the executive branch should have "current" family ties to corporate media, or big financial institutions, IE: a husband/wife, sister, or brother in law that is a "current" executive at a major news broadcaster, paper, or current Chase/Goldman. That just reeks of favoritism and corruption.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

More room for missile defense systems when not on a coast.

16. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I disagree with the premise of the question. The American federal government system is fine; the root of the problem is that the American citizenry are simply not participating in their own government.

The manner in which a fired-up minority can usurp power from an apathetic majority is most obvious in the election of the showman Trump, but is probably behind the ascendancy of many other less-than-stellar candidates into government.

If this apathy continues, it really doesn't matter how you change the form of government; the government will not be run for the people if it is never run by the people.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

Do it like the Brits and other Europeans; it's certainly not going to yield a worse result.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Though, I think a combination of my other suggestions will accomplish something similar.

Match-based public funding will severely reduce the amount of big money donors. What's the point of giving someone $5mil if their opponent will also immediately receive $5mil. The only incentive to make big donations would be if you believe your candidate will be significantly better at spending that money.

Repealing citizens united will allow corporate donation limits to be set. Making all lobbying public will disincentive corporations from getting too close and cozy with leaders.

All of this in sum will mean less money in politics, meaning less money to spend on months and months of trips and endless tv ads. If they can only afford 3 months of touring the country and tv ads, that's all they will do.

19. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Forgot to add the nepotism issue. Any elected official should not be able to have any family members serve in any capacity, paid or volunteer

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm dead set against term limits. I have no problem with professional politicians. I'd rather have people who know how to get work done, than newbies who have to learn how to write a bill every few years. The problem isn't political experience.
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2017 ---
    He's looking at you, donald j. trump.

21. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Not sure, but I'd make sure to have lots of Handi-wipes, Purell, Lysol and antibiotics.

22. JMacHack macrumors 6502

1. Term Limits of 6-8 years
    2. Amendment to the U.S. Constitution explicitly forbidding tracking or surveillance of any individual by any organization without a warrant.
    3. Decrease size of the NSA, CIA, ATF, and FBI to minimal possible scope, better define their jurisdictions.
    4. Plural voting system, 2 votes per voter, one primary, one secondary, may not be both used for the same candidate.
    5. Criminal records are available only to relevant authorities, potential employers may not ask for records, nor obtain them through any other means
    6. Reform the military budget so that money not spent rolls over into a general fund (this would cut back on spending actually, since they wouldn't be encouraged to spend just to keep the budget the same the next fiscal year)
    7. Same as above, but with farm subsidies
    8. Decrease involvement in foreign affairs, reduce foreign aid (and this includes funding for the U.N.), and remove bases wherever I can.
    9. Better relations with Mexico, by bringing the quality of life up we can help curb the cartels
    10. addendum to the above, legalize Marijuana, use funds specifically to fight harder drugs
    11. Slowly eliminate opiates from prescription medication through the FDA
    12. Maybe Single-Payer Healthcare, I want to see how FDP planned it
    13. Reduce scope of the "Great Society" laws, if not full repeal
    14. Start trading as much as we can with India
    15. More Nuclear Power

23. MadeTheSwitch, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

1) Also would separate the FBI. What good does it do to have a different length term for an FBI director if a new President can just fire them? What is the point? I would add a measure that if someone was truly incompetent or dangerous in the role that there could be a mechanism in place to remove them, but one single person could not do it and neither could any political appointee of a President.

2) All candidates for President must submit three things before their names will appear on any ballots:
    A. Their taxes for previous 8 years.
    B. Submit to a mental health evaluation by three separate doctors (thus making it harder to pay off someone) to help insure that someone nuts doesn't get control of military.
    C. If elected must promise to shed all conflicting business deals that could present conflict of interest, especially in international matters. And I don't mean pass off to a relative or shell corporation either. If they are elected and haven't done so prior to inauguration day, they either cannot be president, or literally cannot sign any executive order or legislation until they do. If they continue to not do so, then they are just removed and replaced period. And any replacement has to meet all the requirements above as well.
    3) All candidates and Presidents must behave in an ethical and professional manner else risk disqualification. (In other words, no crazy tweets at 4am)

4) Congress cannot push an appointee off. If a President in his final year in office nominates a judicial pick, there must be a hearing on that. No kicking the can down the road to another president for political reasons. A four year term is four years. Not three or any other number someone wants to place on it.

5) Congress members must behave in a professional manner. The penalty for not doing so must be very high. I'm talking to the "you lie" Republicans and the "hey hey goodbye" Democrats. Let's act like adults people.

6) Get rid of gerrymandering.

7) Make sure all legal citizens can vote, with no disenfranchisement and no political games to keep people from voting. Period. If you can't win without playing games, get new policies that allow you to win based on the merit of your platform on things.

8) A different system of voting. I don't know that the popular vote is fair to rural areas, but rural areas shouldn't override more populous areas either. There has to be an equal balance. How we achieve that, I'm not sure.

9) No endless debt increase and open ended wars. Each war must be approved by congress and debt should not be increased without major justification.

24. joy.757 macrumors regular

Not an American, and this isn't exactly a change to the govt, but electoral reform.

Primarily, getting rid of FPTP and going for a more proportional system. This is something I'd like to change in my own country too.

25. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

1) Reverse 2010 Citizens United ruling. Get money OUT of politics
    2) Term limits for all politicians
    3) Significantly reduce the number of lobbyists
    4) Remove "lifetime appointment" for SCOTUS
    5) Make it mandatory that any Presidential candidate must have served at least 8 years in the military
    6) Immedialtey fire ALL senior leadership in the VA
    7) Make it easier to fire government employees, especially in the VA
    8) Treat drug abuse as a health matter, not a criminal matter
    9) Legalize marijuana
    10) Strict rules to prevent nepotism/cronyism
    11) Enforce the same standard of healthcare available to the American public on all politicians
    12) Make it illegal for politicians to vote for their own pay raises every year
    13) Any politican that votes on a bill without having read it is immediately removed from office
    14) Remove lavish health and retirement benefits for politicians

The government as a whole needs to return to a vocation of PUBLIC SERVICE.
    These politicians only serve themselves. It's truly disgusting.