How would you define success?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Is it by the number of good people you have in your life?

Is it by how loved you are?

Is it by pursuing your dreams no matter how big or small?

Is it by the amount of money you make?

Is it by the level of education you have?

IMO, success is defined by a mix of several things. I'm not afraid to say I think money plays a role, but to me it doesn't end there.

I think it's important to take care of your health. Being fit, taking care of how you look, staying healthy, etc are all very important parts of being a successful human being.

I also think it's important to be passionate about something. It can be a hobby, or your career, or something you plan on working on more in the future, but having a passion, whatever it may be, is important if you want to be successful and happy.

I think it's important to have people in your life. Whether it's your family, or good friends, or even just people on a forum to talk to, it's important to be able to talk to someone who is willing to listen.

I also think money plays a factor. And not so much in terms of excess, but really more in terms of staying debt free and having enough to enjoy good things now and later in life. Being able to afford nice clothes, nice vacations, a nice home, fancy restaurants, and being able to save some for the future is ideal.

I think it's important to let yourself loose and have fun sometimes as well. It doesn't have to be extravagant. A simple drive in your city exploring a new coffee shoppe or restaurant can be a very fun and rewarding experience. If you're a single bachelor, searching for a hot babe to explore with can be great. I mean why not right? ;)

2. citizenzen, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Success for me is being able to take any woman I want (gotta be at least a 9 or 10), have sex, and then leave them before they can get their gold-digging claws in me.

3. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Definitely about fancy restaurants and hot babes.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you're really on your game, you can even make them buy you dinner.

Talk about success.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly! I currently have eight.

Not bad.

Here another measure of success ...

Going 24 hours in Clash of Clans, with no shield, yet nobody attacks you because your defenses are sooo badass.

7. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Success is being happy with the journey you are on. Therefore, success is easy and can be experienced at all times. Winning a race is when success starts to fade. That's why so many who run marathons must run another one.

A flashy car sends a message to others that you are on a successful journey. But if the flashy car comes with lots of debt, the success is a lie.

Winning the lotto is success. The journey of happiness lasts until the money runs out. But, there is more success in that happiness than years of misery in a career you hate that you expect to eventually pay off with more money and flashy cars. Success comes with a smile.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Never ending supply of hookers and blow haven't been mentioned? What's wrong with this forum? :p

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although you have a lousy forum name, lol, I like your description. :) I would describe success as achieving your goals in life and being mostly satisfied, which includes a wide spectrum from person to person.

One of the most common definitions of success is how many friends you have, but that would make me an abject failure at this point in my life. I have acquaintenances and family, but I don't have the mental tolerance for friends, spending the time cultivating serious friendships. I have acquaintenances on behalf of my wife who is very social. I'm not nearly as social as she is.

When I was younger and single, I usually had a pool of 2 or 3 people I would hang out with and could call them friends. When I got married (still am) we did things with other couples. But one characteristic of my professional life was that I would be gone from home for weeks up to a month or more with a crew, and the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was go hang out with them when we got back, so I never sought friends from work, instead wanted to be with my wife and son in the relative small % of time I had at home. Now I'm retired and we do socialize with couples, am happy to help them with projects, but I can't call them serious friends. I tell my wife, she takes up all of my social energy. ;) I think the point I'm justifying is that you are who you are, and you should have no requirement to meet the requirements popularily described as success, as long as you are content with the status of your life.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Winning!

11. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

LOL! It's kind of nice seeing you not so uptight!

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's nouveau riche tripe, man. You know you've truly made it when you've moved past that to PCP and human trafficking.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Success is all relative. And winning the Lottery is almost the precise opposite of being successful.

Success for an addict can mean going a day and a night without drinking or smoking crack. Success for an accident survivor can mean walking a step without falling down. Success for a bed-wetter is making it to morning without a nocturnal accident.

I'm sure there are people who own dozens of Apple products who are complete and utter losers. And people who own none (and likely never will) who have achieved -and succeed at - more than most can ever imagine.

Success is setting and achieving a goal that heretofore was beyond your grasp.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

On the off chance that you are serious, I suggest that you start by reading Plato. A number of times Plato discusses the question of a "happy man", a "just" person, and so on.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

"The more money you have the more power you have. Going to eat out someplace is pedestrian at best. Having the power to get people in that eatery hired or fired, drive away competitors, reward people who are loyal is the true thrill in life."

Okay, I kid, I kid....

I would say that true success is two parts: that you are happy with where you are, and that you don't require others' help to maintain yourself. You can have a job which pays you tons of money, but if you are miserable and hate waking up every day, then I wouldn't define you as a success. You can absolutely love your life and ability to wake up at noon every day and paint abstracts all day and hang out with friends, but if you are living on welfare or something, then you are not successful.

However, you make a decent amount of money and can afford everything you need or reasonably want, and are happy as can be with what you have, then I'd call you successful.

I had a few years like that. Good times.

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Success is different for every one, I know that what I once counted as success when I was let’s say 21, is far different to how I judge success now at age 70.:cool:

I also think that you should never be dependant on others approval for YOUR happiness, It really doesn’t matter what others think, you should be true unto yourself.:)

But seeing who the OP is, what do I know, I would go with super hot females, who put out for nothing, and DON’T touch my wallet.:p

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Social utility. Success ≠ happiness. The world isn't here to entertain me.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    To me, it's more about building your self esteem, rather than adhering to any enforced notion of success. What I do is set incredibly simplistic goals, then pat myself on the back for achieving them. For example...

Did I poop myself today?

No?

Congratulations me! I deserve a treat!

...it's amazing how much I achieve in a single day. I am so awesome.

20. chown33 macrumors 604

This is true. It's here to entertain me. I know this because I so frequently find the world entertaining.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Buddhist success ...

More Bankei ...

22. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Being happy. Since everything good in my life results in me being happy, success can only mean happiness for me.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Big deal. I accomplished the same thing like five times last week.

24. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Money isn't it, though it helps.

Happiness isn't it, it's too temporary.

I think fulfillment is where it's at.

If you can look back at your accomplishments and be satisfied with them, then you are doing well. When you add a solid group of friends and family to the mix, you have success.

25. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Having a good career or business without financial worries is my definition of success. Happiness is hopefully a result, but not always. You can be miserable and successful at the same time.