How would you grade TSA?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, May 31, 2007.

?

Grade TSA

1. A - Excellent: I thank them every time I fly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B - Pretty Good: Satisfactory all things considered, and improving

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. C - Fair: I put up with it. No major hassles

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  4. D - Poor: Several bad experiences with them

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. F - Failure: They're killing us one hour at a time

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

There have been threads over the past few years covering related issues with Transportation and Security Administration, part of Homeland Security, in the U.S.

With an estimated 200 million U.S. citizens looking to travel by air this summer, (I don't have any solid figures on the numbers of non U.S. citizens traveling), are you one of them? What have been your experiences with airport security over the past year? Positive or negative?

Would you give TSA an A, B, C, D or an F?

Attached Files:

• tsa.gif
      tsa.gif
      File size:
      81 KB
      Views:
  2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I haven't had any issues with them, so I gave them a C. I know they could be doing better, but the workers are only doing what they were trained to do.

Who are we grading btw- the workers or the management?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I put a C since I havn't had any problems with them.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I've mastered the art of getting through security. I don't feel much safer and it makes things longer than it used to be.

My favorite was when I flew back home and a hispanic guy got on the plane with a bag. The bag was to big for underneath the chair and there was no room in the overhead bin. The staff felt it would be fine to leave the bag in an unused seat. This young college girl thought he was from the Middle East and felt his bag was a bomb and started crying and freaking out. They evacuated the whole plane and we didn't leave for another 1.5 hours.

jon

5. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Poor - the impression i get is that the people screening (bags/people) could care less.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Terribly inconsistent. Extermely strict in some airports, not in others, and yes, the ones I'm thinking of are international and so on the same "level."

That said, I was once selected for the stricty empty-out-your-bag search... I almost didn't make it on my flight even though they knew it. :rolleyes: But I can appreciate teh attention to detail and "safety." Shrug.

I wish things were consistently strict or consistently not.

7. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

I just love getting things perfectly packed for my carry-on so it all fits and is easy to get stuff and having to be "randomly searched" because someone traveling with me had a pair of toe-nail clippers with them. Its great when you have to re-pack with everyone looking at you.

Funny story about that flight, we were taking off and the cabin started filling with blue smoke. It was so funny.

8. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

They both seem to reflect on the overall set up, organization of a site, and individual treatment. I've found the security to be top notch in some regions of the U.S., where others have been consistently poor. I won't mention the regions since some may be from South FL. :p

Nothing though compared to what I've faced in Venezuela. Two different times I was strip searched. :eek:

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Why don't they give away or sell the quart Ziploc bags (that they want your shampoo in) to the people waiting in line?

I saw them telling people who got to the front of the line with such contraband that they could go off elsewhere in the airport to hunt for a place to buy those bags (probably as a box of 100), then get back at the end of the line and start over again. If they had a stack of them there for people who are waiting, those people would sail through on the first try and we'd all be out of there sooner.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i just flew back from puerto vallarta, and there was a big bin of them near the security entrance.

are the US immigration officials TSA? i don't recall. upon my return to the US, in atlanta, the immigration guy asked me the purpose of my visit. i replied that i was on holiday, then he gave me all this hassle that it wasn't yet memorial day and why can't i say "vacation." because, you know, all terrorists are british. :rolleyes:

11. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"On March 1, 2003, the DHS absorbed the now defunct United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), and assumed its duties." Can't find a satisfactory link other than this, at the moment.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

They do at SJC (San José, CA).

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

a big fat F---------?

actually I haven't had any particularly crappy encounters with TSA people other than rough handling of stuff I spent 10 minutes to carefully pack in my bag being thrown back in there in mere seconds, but I've heard enough crappy stories and seen enough stupid things happening.

Soon flying to SF, but I stupidly got tickets for a flight departing from LAX instead of one of the smaller airports nearby. I'm going to say goodbye to everything in my checked luggage, assuming it's going to be stolen or lost, and packing everything valuable I possibly can into my carryon bags. :rolleyes:

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They do, at least at all the airports I've been to in the past 6 months...

JFK
    LaGuardia
    Denver
    Fort Lauderdale
    Atlanta

As for the TSA, I'd give them a C-. Most problems I see are caused by ignorant travelers. I've mastered the art of getting through security and being able to spot those who will hold up the line so I can get on another one. Hint- look for business travelers who know the ropes.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Same here. I'm not a "frequent flyer" by any stretch of the imagination, but I fly enough to have picked up on this trick. Of course, sometimes you don't have a choice.

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

An "F".

Removing my shoes and belt doesn't make me any safer than not. Banning shampoo and toenail clippers doesn't make me any safer than not. Putting thousands of names on lists for future harrasment (including Ted Kennedy and a nun) doesn't make me any safer than not.

Demanding to be treated like a human being with rights instead of a prisoner and probable criminal however will get me a one-way ticket to the back office, my name on a list, and kill any hope of me reaching my destination.

Not safer. Not better. Not good.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

right on.

and fie on the whole situation where TSA are free to give you as much **** as they want, but one dares not talk back.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I gave them a B. I think right now, they're doing a greatly improved job of balancing security and liberty. They made a lot of egregious mistakes right after 9/11, but they've learned from them. I do try to go out of my way to be nice to the agents, too, because their job is a pretty sucky one. :(

And after that initial nonsense settled down, I've found they've been very nice back. I freaked them out once last year because I left my iBook inside my bag. But when they saw it was pink and white and had a hello kitty desktop, they just shrugged and weren't too mad. :D

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I guess we have two separate questions here: How reasonable are the policies they enforce? And, given those policies, how well do they handle the enforcement?

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Airport security is a facade. My brother works for american airlines and the ground crew walks in/out anytime in different entrances, and the TSA is just there to make passengers feel safe.

21. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Assuming you don't want to spend money on the fancy TSA approved back door locks, here is an easy trick I came up with.
    Go the hardware store and buy a 100 pack of small, maybe 4" zip ties.
    [​IMG]

Assuming your luggage has two zippers, you can zip them together with one of these. That way, if they decide to randomly break into your bag (for security of course) you will know, and they won't wreck your bag because it is not a non-approved actual lock.
    Costs almost nothing and gives you some piece of mind.
    I've been doing it since 2001 and have had no issues.

Oh, and I gave them a C for lack of interest and silly and inconsistent rules.

22. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

As you may have guessed, I think the policies are totally unreasonable. They're based on total CYA and nothing else.

Here's a story. Last year I took a quick filght to Montana - bought my ticket only two days in advance. Of course I was sent to the "I am a terrorist" line, where I was put through the "I am a terrorist" explosives-detecting-air-sniffing machine. After going through the machine I was asked to take off my shoes and put them on the belt, like usual. I wondered to myself, "If they just checked for explosives, why am I taking of my shoes as well? Either the air-sniffing machine doesn't work, or they don't trust the x-ray machines or techs to detect explosives, or...this is all a crock of ****!"

Security theater, nothing more. The TSA agents have to have the ********* jobs, standing there with people glaring at them all day long, jumping them through pointless and petty hoops, knowing the whole time that nothing they're doing is making a bit of difference.

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

I love those, but my bag came with a TSA approved lock. A lock someone has the key to or can pick gives me a little bit more peace of mind than zip ties that can be opened by anyone with scissors. :eek:

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've been searched a couple times, mostly because I tend to bring item's of "questionable nature" (E.g: a tin box full of 100 year old coins?:confused: ) So I voted C. I get searched about once a year, but then again I only fly about 4 times a year. They are doing their job, it's just a hassle.

25. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Last two trips, one to NYC and the other to Costa Rica, they confiscated my daughter's mousse, and would not let my wife by with two see-through ziplocks. My daughter had to walk along 5th Ave. with kinky hair, but the planet was safer. :rolleyes: