How would you invest $100K in spare cash?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Jan 11, 2015.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

A) Risk-adverse option(s)?
    B) Risk-tolerant option(s)?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The first thing I'd do is run to the Internet to ask strangers for financial advice.

3. McWizard macrumors member

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am all about real estate.

Apartment complex's and/or commercial property.

5. tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

I figured this would be one of the snarky replies. :rolleyes:

6. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Invest it in your karma and donate it to a good cause.

7. Scepticalscribe, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, indeed.

Snarky? And why on earth would you go to the internet for financial advice?

I think mobilehaathi's comments sensible, not snarky.

That is because the internet - or, this corner of it, an online forum where our true identities are masked by our pseudonyms - would be one of the very last places where I would seek any sort of informed, or objective, or insightful financial advice.

A quick trawl through the some of the deluded business ideas or deranged investment plans which have been floated on these very threads should be more than enough to give anyone pause……..

8. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Meet with a qualified, independent financial adviser who will ask you the questions necessary to give you an informed opinion.

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Buy a house. Or put it in a diversified Vanguard fund.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The OP never stated he was looking for financial advice - he was just asking how you would do something. Not very different from many of the threads on here. Nor did he say he would only use the opinions of those on MR. And, I'm sure there are plenty of people on MR who can comment on investing 100K. I've learned a lot of unrelated things from forums that I wouldn't expect to be in. I find household appliance forums come up on my google searches for topics that don't have anything to do with appliances, for example.

Tired of seeing responses like these. Yes, I would consider it snarky or snide.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, it was snarky. It also was an amusing way to make my point, one which I also happen to believe is in OP's best interest. By all means disagree with me though. :)

But seriously, how is OP not asking for financial advice? If investing advice isn't financial advice......:rolleyes:

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Do what all wealthy people do - make your money make money. And of course sometimes in business, the best decision, is no decision.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Although I disagree with the delivery of your message, at least you recognize it as being snarky.

"How would you invest $100K in spare cash?" is not the same as "I only want want advice from random people on the internet to invest $100K and I do not plan to make any other consultations before investing said money"

14. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

My opinion:
    1) Invest in established mutual funds with long term track records and ride the market.
    2) If you are going to real estate, then invest it short term in a money market account and investigate your investment. Take your time and find a bargain.
    3) If you are in debt, pay it off. Period.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Financial advice is financial advice. Hopefully OP takes only vetted opinions seriously.

The OP doesn't even hint at investing goals.....

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I would spend it on stock of a huge name company and set my limits on the lows/highs that I would sell it.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

So you expected snark?

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Another vote for a diversified Vanguard account.

19. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

The OP said very little indeed: Left it wide open to interpretation.

Hardly surprising the responses then.

20. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Index Fund :rolleyes:

21. D3an. macrumors newbie

But land a land and build an apartment on the land that I have purchased

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm with mobilehaathi completely on this one.

All the OP asks is advice on whether an investment should be risk averse, or risk tolerant; as mobilehaathi points out, no mention is made anywhere about investing goals, which is an omission I find somewhat surprising.

I, too, have learned much from my membership of MR.

However, possibly because I come from a world where discussing money matters even with friends can be considered unsettling and inappropriate (in my part of the world, people are more open about their sex lives than they are about their financial affairs), and I, personally, am rather reticent re such matters, I find such uninhibited - and such unthought through threads - threads somewhat bizarre.

The original question as phrased by the OP strikes me as having very little of the basic business of thinking put into it.

Indeed. Perhaps this thread is a financial fishing expedition, then, to see what bites.

Very well. My personal preferences re money and investment are rather risk averse, rather than risk tolerant. Therefore, if you are to take a flutter on a genius you are convinced may be the personification of the new Steve Jobs, invest an agreed in advance small sum and be resigned to the fact that you may never see a penny of that cash ever again, because most start ups end in complete, total and ignominious failure. Do not expect any profit or result from adventure; if it happens, well and good. Most of the time, it won't.

Secondly, I am also extraordinarily interested in what such money would be invested in - thus I personally would insist that my monies not be put towards anything illegal, immoral or unethical. The drawback here, in financial terms, of course, is that this may well have the consequence of excluding a great many of the more profitable and lucrative areas where money can beget further money, or where a profit can be made.

My third concern is mis representation, half-truths and downright lies, because financial institutions and other investors seeking access to your funds may not have an interest in full disclosure. And here, the expertise of someone else may be necessary because you yourself will not know enough about finance to be able to tell when someone is open with you, when they are telling half-truths, and when they are downright mendacious. In my case, I will not tolerate lies from a professional relationship; telling lies (even for the motivation of financial gain) means trust is eroded, and trust, once gone, is difficult to restore.

Moreover, institutions can tend to be very casual or cavalier when investing the monies of investors, and not necessarily as objective or as responsible as they ought to be, (as matters such as their own bonuses may come into play) and therefore, the interest of a financial institution, and the interest of the depositor/investor may not necessarily fully coincide. You need to be very alert and have an independent and objective, and qualified advisor to call upon. therefore, I have no wish to be a part of someone else's financial adventures or fantasies.

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Give it to me.

I will buy a secondhand Porsche (nothing brand new, please how fancy do you take me for), I will buy a little magnetic sticker with your username to put on the driver's door, drive Route 101 from San Diego to Seattle, take pictures along the way and email them to you with random photos of my cat (if you don't like cats, you don't belong on the internet and I won't take your money but my cat is pretty great), and donate the rest to homeless shelters and non-profit educational programs.

Give.

Oh I'm sorry you didn't want silly replies on the internet. :p :D

24. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

DIVERSIFY. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Other than that, yes, a good Financial Advisor will be helpful.

Any concrete investment advise w/o knowing your situation is not credible.

-t