how would you prevent terrorist attacks?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by benlangdon, Mar 8, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

So i have this paper for english and the topic is how to increase security against terrorist attacks.

All i thought up so far is that someone gets caught doing anything and there affiliated with a gang or w/e there punishment be more severe.
    that is a week solution thought.

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

This is not meant to be a smarta$$ post or anything.

Don't do anything to piss extremists off. Simple as that. :eek:

3. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

no ya thats pretty much what i thought of first. then came with the prison thing. i actually need to wright about these topics:(

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Oooh, sorry to hear that. I hate it when people ask you to write about blindingly obvious things like that. :mad:

Like, "Analyze why Bob is sad when his brother gets shot".

:rolleyes:

5. BowZinger macrumors member

Is it possible to stop them? I don't think so. Should the gov't be allowed to bug(like hold in a small room with weird devices..) anyone that think may have ties to some organization? NO, they should be able to get a court order to tap their phone or throw a surval. team on them!

People are always going to not like the USA (sadly). We can't do anything to stop it but we can protect our country. We just need to find a non intrusive way of doing it that won't piss off millions!

6. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Do away with collective ideas and let/make everyone do their own thing, thus banning collectiveness and causing chaos resulting in terrorism.

Nope, there is no way.

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Stop installing puppet governments, selling weapons technology, and propping up foreign fair-weather dictators?

8. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Of course, if they are extremists, just about anything will piss them off. I disagree with a lot of the things we do, but we can't make our policies based on pissing off extremists. We can however not interfere in a lot of the rest of the world in such a way that we are obviously serving only our own goals at the expense of the people who live there.

Also, increasing security at weak points like our ports, trucking across international boundaries, etc would probably be a good idea if you want to catch people smuggling stuff into the country.

9. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ugh this essay is going to suck:(

ive been goggling the subject for a hour or two and i either get stuff that is supper up there technical ideas from lawyers or get ldskfjglsk

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Watch Lord of War. See what that guy does? Now imagine that on a much, much larger scale. While extremely simplified, it serves as an example of the kind of activity that has America targetted specifically.

11. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Can't it be just on personal opinion? Instead of googling for everyone's solutions just write what you think should be done. At least that way the essay will be interesting to write.

12. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

tap everyone's phones. Oh wait, the guv-ment already does that.

-We could start by not electing terrorists to run our own country.
    -We can stop supporting the terrorist activities of our "friends".
    -We can initiate a world wide disarmament of nuclear arms
    -We can teach our children more about the world outside of America instead of conditioning them with the US superiority complex we were subjected to.
    -etc., etc., etc.

No new device or method of detection is going to defeat an ideology

13. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

imho i think it's more policy related (i.e. butting in), but i guess you could establish an argument regarding gangs as well. did your professor give you a prompt?

in any case, have someone proofread the paper before turning it in.

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Suggestion - Find a book about the English espionage counter-measures during WWII. The British mobilized the entire country to help in the war against espionage. I am not going to go into much detail here. It is better for you to get it from source material. But, in short, they were able to largely thwart the Nazi's attempts to gather intelligence and/or perform acts of sabotage.

Another good source would be how the American Mafia secured the American ports against the same enemy. Rumor has it that Nazi's sent here would just find jobs and send BS reports. There were whispers among them that many of their friends were found in the bay doing the 'dead man's float'. A good Google search text would be "Lucky Luciano help allies WWII" (lose the quotes). The government released him from prison to do this job.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You could start by not ignoring things like "Bin Laden Determined To Attack the US", then practically ignoring them after they do to invade another country that had nothing to do with it to create more terrorists, but that would just be snarky.

There's actually some good info out there on how to deal with terrorism. Start with the "9/11 Commission" recommendations. Then basically do exactly the opposite of what most of what the current administration is doing.

16. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I think the answer is obvious: by generating goodwill worldwide. Duh! If people believe in the U.S. they'll do more, even internationally, to protect us than a million highly trained and well paid commandos.

The really interesting paper would be about how to go about actually helping people, not least our own. After all, students shooting each other up at school are terrorists too.

(It would sure make much better reading than whether to electrify the border fence or implement a national ID system.)

17. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ha that was the other two choices for topics.
    for or against national id's but we had to create more support for 2 papers on either subject.

i what someone said about doing the opposit of the administration :D

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's a good point about generating good will. I remember reading an article about how a group of soldiers were giving candy to some of the local kids in Iraq so they could have a more positive view of our troops and America. He was amazed this didn't happen more often and dismayed the higher ups tended to dismiss it when he brought it up. There was also that story of our troops giving food and aid to the tsunami victims a few years ago. One of the people they were helping had a pro-Bin Laden/Anti-America shirt on. Someone said that's the type of person we shouldn't help, but in actuality, that's exactly the type of person we should be helping. Now obviously we can't be Jesus, or even MLK, all the time, but we could certainly try a little more to make that the first step instead of something we rarely even follow through on. Look at what happened in Africa, and this was after Bush actually wanted to give them less funding.

19. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ooo i think im going to use this, about how we need to create a positive image. well not image, but positive ________.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think we can't totally stop it, but we could start with not interfering as much with other countries, and also work more on developing alternate fuels to oil, so we don't have to keep giving our money to the people who are funding the terrorists.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's a good start, but don't forget the rest. All the good will in the world won't rid us of our enemies. Especially those we've already established and will continue to gain. We still need to protect ourselves. We just need to do so smartly, and without losing who we are. What good is safety if we lose our liberty and have nothing left to protect? If we have more to fear from our own gov than from those they claim to be protecting us against? Or worse, if we're just creating more terrorists, as we are now.

22. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

You need to think about why people hate the USA so much and why they think that killing US citizens will ultimately improve their life. IMHO we need to enable education and an minimum quality of life in parts of the world where terrorists make their breeding grounds. If you provide people with a basic education and fulfill their basic needs (clear water, food, public works, heat, electricity, etc.) it takes a great deal of more effort to convince them that the USA is "evil." If, however, people have nothing to loose and someone "educates" them about how their plight is the fault of the US then that person is more motivated with desperate action.

I also strongly favor a political and economic divestment from the region. Most obviously, this would entail decreasing our reliance on foreign energy/oil. If it weren't for oil we would have *very* little interest in the region of the world.

I could go on, but almost time for bed.

23. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I agree completely, but a lot of these people live under greedy, totalitarian regimes that would gladly steal whatever aid you had hoped would help them.

How do we best help those people without becoming benedictive imperialists, is the question. Lots of potential answers out there, and good ones I think, but it does certainly get more complicated than just "we'll send them some food" or "give them x tons of medical supplies." It has to be properly administrated.

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Nothing like Amero-centrism to think that the world's evils begin with US foreign policy. Like most US-bashing, it's non-think.

Check out http://www.globalincidentmap.com/home.php for some idea of other countries' problems with terrorism. It's at least a quick-and-dirty overview.

For all its flaws and hassles, our present system here in the US has been effective, pretty much, for almost seven years. Many things I don't care for, the TSA behaviors being a major gripe, but all in all it's a case of "So far, so good."

Separate from protection against terrorism, and OT, really, I'm dubious that a lot of the bi-partisan legislation which infringes on civil rights was needed.

Improvements? We're dramatically poor in having any control over who comes across our borders. We're vulnerable to Bad Stuff coming in via imports, the 45 million containers per year entering the country.

'Rat

25. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Resident Bush signed the Real ID act in 2005....