How would you protect yourself?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 2, 2009.

?

How would you deal with an intruder?

1. Shoot to kill

50 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Shoot to maim

28 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Keep quiet and call the authorities

25 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. Dismemberment/ torture

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

If one or more armed people broke into your home with the intention of taking your valuables and not letting anything get in his/her/their way would you do? Let's suspend reality a little and say there would be no consequences for the actions you might take.

If I had a weapon I would try to shoot to kill.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It must be the beginning of the month, cause we haven't had one of these threads in what ... 30 days? :rolleyes:

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I would give them everything I have, including my kids, and tell them about Jesus.

However, if they even looked at my MBP, I would shoot to kill and hope they burn in hell.

4. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Eek, sorry; I searched "would you kill someone?" and didn't get any similar results...

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Fixed that for you.:p

NBD. I actually hadn't noticed any lately, but then I try to steer clear of the PRSI.:cool:

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Kill them with kindness.
    Offer some muffins.
    Maybe a warm towel.
    Then after 15 or so minutes of lite conversation I would remark on how easy it is to lace a muffin with arsenic.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

So my options are to either shoot, torture or do nothing?*

I'd put the kettle on and have a cup of tea - providing they haven't already half-hinched the kettle, mugs and tea bags - before setting the cat onto them. That'll learn 'em!

*US foreign policy in all its intricacies right there! :p

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I would ask him/her/them whether they like Huey Lewis and the News. Regardless of the response, I'd go on and on about how their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

All the while I'd be putting plastic on the floor, donning a clear poncho and reaching for my axe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwicLgOGJOI

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Brilliant :)
    Although arsenic muffins are much less messy.
    You dont want the robbers to be a burden even after they've been dispatched, do you?

10. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

This thread seems like an excuse to pound your chest and tell people how much of a man (or woman) you would be.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If they're just robbing us then I'd call the police and hope for the best. I couldn't kill someone, even if they wanted to kill me. Law aside it's still murder.

Luckily we don't get armed robberies around here. Knives yes, but rarely are people killed from confronting them.

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I would dump a bucket of hot coals on their heads. Jesus says that's just like being kind to them.

Similes are symmetric, right?

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

14. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

If they managed to get past my dog, I own a .45 that should do the trick.

I'd try to hold them at gunpoint until the cops come but if I feel threatened, I'm shooting. In an ideal situation, a shot in the thigh works but if I'm really threatened, I'm shooting the biggest target: the chest.

To quote the old East Flatbush Project track, I'd rather be judge by twelve than carried by six.

Sorry potential robbers, I don't play around.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

"Wanna go for a jog? We can go for a jog."
    "okay... but what's the knife for?"
    "What do you mean? I run faster with a knife."

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

That video is gold.
    Everything in life can be blamed on lag.
    RL or not. :D

17. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I would bring a Scout, if I had one...

18. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

A friend of mines dad's is actually in prison now for shooting a burglar when he was not in any actual danger. But if their were no consequences, well let's just say there's a reason a keep a 9mm under my bed. My family is more important than a thief's life.

19. No1451 macrumors 6502

Same, haven't heard any reports of it around here lately.

That being said, if it did happen and I had a reasonable doubt that they might be a risk to me or my family I would not hesitate to kill them on the spot. I'm not going to just "hope for the best", they have no right to be there and they certainly don't have the right to threaten me.

At the end of the day, my life is more important to me than theirs is, they can burn in hell for all I care.

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This is vital, and I feel should be included in the question description before I can answer.

In all honesty, I do want a gun in my house. Then, in a situation such as this, I would get the hell out of the way and take my gun with me. You can have my property, that is replaceable, but screw with me or my family (as it someday might be) and I won't hesitate to do what it takes.

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

You don't shoot to kill or to maim. You shoot to end the threat, if shooting is necessary. If just the display of a firearm is sufficient, that's all that needs be done.

If you do have to shoot, keep doing so until the threat is ended.

raggedjimmi, it's not murder to kill in self defense. It is a duty and responsibility to yourself and your family. Part of your obligation to them is to be available and helpful throughout your lifetime--which means that you're obligated to maximize your lifespan as necessary.

'Rat

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Assuming it's one-on-one and there's not a gang of them, it would have to be a Tombstone Piledriver onto a steel chair, followed by an elbow drop.

Surprisingly though, I don't see this listed among the options? :confused:

23. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Surely the Piledriver would be enough? The elbow drop would just be overkill.