How would you use 1TB of storage on 13" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 4, 2009.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I just installed a second hard drive in my 13" MBP. Here thread here. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=757885

With almost 1TB of onboard storage I plan to put all my movies and music on it. Here's how I plan to use it.

Use Handbrake to convert all my DVDs to iPhone/iPod Touch format and load them all on the MBP. It should ba about 1.5gb per movie. This will allow me to freely add movies to my iPod Touch very quickly as I please.

Rip all my CDs to 256kb (iTunes Plus) and manage in iTunes. This will allow me to have all my music on my 160gb iPod Classic.

How would you use 1TB on your laptop? :)

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'd tote my entire anime collection around with me. The only problem is that 1TB still isn't enough;)

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Make a Linux partition and learn something new.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

RAID0 and use it to capture video using OnLocation. :)

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Same way you seem to be planning on using it.

6. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I think I am going to do this later this year. Just not sure if I should go with 2x 500gb or a 80gb intel ssd and a 500gb hard drive?

7. drjuice macrumors member

I'd get a 1TB external and make damn sure everything is backed up, if one drive goes and that's half your media, well, I'd be pissed.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I guess I would carry all of my movies as well.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I don't need that much on a laptop and I'd rather have my DVD drive instead of another HD.

So I would buy an external FW800 one and store my movie/TVshows/VODs on it.

10. joehahn macrumors regular

+1

i dont see the point in having 1TB of storage for the amount of media that i need to have on me at all times. i have my entire music collection and plenty of videos on my 250GB hdd. id love to get an external hdd and load it up with all of the seasons of my favorite tv shows though.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Most of my hard drive space is taken up by photos. I volunteer with a summer camp for kids, and one of my responsibilities is to take photos, and collect photos taken by others. Ultimately these end up on the website, on DVD slideshows, etc. There has been an exponential increase in the amount of space taken up by photos! I think I pulled in 10 gigs of pictures for this past summer alone.

I just bought a 1 TB hard drive last week, and installed it in a D-Link DNS-323 network attached storage device. My plan is to turn it into a repository, both for all those camp photos, and for my own files including my collection of mp3's and videos. The DNS-323 can be turned into a web server and it does FTP and UPnP media sharing out of the box, so I'm looking forward to being able to access my files from anywhere!

12. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I don't even use the 320gb in my laptop. I have too much external storage to be bothered with using all of my internal.

13. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Back up your HD, put on all your media (movies, photos, etc)... install some heavy apps (assuming you have the RAM for them).